• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will cooling the South Bridge help to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Hey all,

I am using MSI KT4V MOBO and am happy with the reesults so far but want to get more OC out of the CPU By increasing FSB. My North Bridge is Warm/Hot to the touch and I will put a cooling fan on to gets temps down but I notice no additional cooling on the south Bridge. Would a South Bridg chipset HS help to get higher speeds via FSB?

Current Settings are:

XP 1700+ @ 2.26 Ghz - Disable spread spectrum, 1.7v, 12.5 x 180
DDR-333 - Auto timings
GeForce4 MX 440se
Onboard features in use /LAN/Sound

Any tweaked setting recomondatins would be appreciated.

tia.

I think the problem here is your RAM. You really can't expect DDR 333 RAM to go much higher that what you're at. I don't think south bridge cooling will do much, but I'm not sure. From what I've heard, south bridge cooling helps if you've got crackling sound due to a high OC. So, if you want to improve your OC, I'd say you'll need PC3200/ DDR 400 RAM. If you don't want to spend the money for it, just keep your system like it is, maybe cool the North Bridge. What HSF are you running on your CPU? You might want to upgrade that, than up the multiplier and CPU voltage.

Agreed with TheMatrixHasYou, the RAM most likely cannot go any higher than what you have it at. However, as the timings you have set now are Auto, you could try raising the timings higher and maybe you can reach a higher FSB, no guarantee however.

As for cooling the southbridge, it never hurts to do so, but unless you have sound problems, or the chip itself is very hot to the touch, then it probably is unnecessary.

Run your comp for a couple hours at load, then touch the southbridge. If it is hot, then it would probably benefit from some cooling. If it isn't hot, then don't bother (unless you notice sound related problems/other southbridge problems)

the things a southbridge cooling solution will help are
hard drive lan and usb and other pci card stability but for fbs it wont help oyu and as thematrix and aslan said you are better off going with diferent ram

Well, I have the system @ 12 x 190, not much of a difference (12.5 x 180) from what it was before but it is the most fsb i have loaded to windows with F@H running. I added south bridge cooling but DO have a bit of sound corruption when loading into windows but all other sound appears to be fine. So my conclusion is unconclusive as I have not gained any major milestones with cooling southbridge.

Thanks for the help anyway dOOds

cooling the southbridge in my opinion shouldnt do that much help in oc'ing

Back