• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nanotherm PCM+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

method().man

Just got this stuff in today. Didn't come with instructions and I can't seem to find any on the web so I just used my best judgement when applying. It comes in a VERY runny consistency when compared to Arctic Silver III. Probably about the consistency of runny eggs (sorry, I can't seem to think of a better comparison at the moment).

One thing that disappointed me is that it comes in a TINY a$$ bottle. Fortunately, this stuff goes a long way. I just put a little more than a drop on my CPU (Intel 2.4 GHz P4C) and spread it around with the little spatula they provide with the bottle. Just to make sure I got good coverage, I applied a tiny dab to the center of my waterblock and spread it to a thin coat on there as well. I don't know how this stuff reacts with the heat from the processory but I noticed that the bit that was left on the spatula from my application turned a waxy consistency after some time.

My load temps dropped from 52-54 C to 50 C (my IS7's temp sensor is incredibly off - this is an issue that is currently being addressed by Abit). People with thermal probes have reported that the temps are often off by 10-15 C.

Pretty good stuff if you ask me. It was a hell of a lot easier to apply than ASIII and it appears to give slightly better performance - although admittedly, my results are FAR from scientific. That being said, I reseated my waterblock with ASIII about 3 times and got the same temperature results every time. With the Nanotherm, I've only applied this stuff once so I must say, thus far, I'm quite pleased.

The application instructions are clearly noted on the label, as you know. We're glad to hear that you are pleased with the PCM+. Enjoy!

Last edited:
You guys need to get the stuff to more distributors or whatever. At this point in time I have to pay shipping 2 times because the place with the best prices on the rest of my stuff (excaliberpc) doesn't have PCM. I have to order it from xoxide :(

Nanotherm said:
The application instructions are clearly noted on the label, as you know. We're glad to hear that you are pleased with the PCM+. Enjoy!

Ahh, ok. My bottle was scratched up when I got it so I just read "Nanotherm" on the bottle and didn't bother reading it since it was kinda hard to make out :). Great product you guys have.

Nanidin said:
You guys need to get the stuff to more distributors or whatever. At this point in time I have to pay shipping 2 times because the place with the best prices on the rest of my stuff (excaliberpc) doesn't have PCM. I have to order it from xoxide :(

We encourage anyone who would like their favorite shop(s) to carry our TIMs to contact them and ask them when they plan to carry them. Typically, most hardware shops do not make purchasing decisions until they understand that there is an End-User demand first. If they do not respond to the demand, it is inevitable that they will lose sales to those who supply the product.

Smart shops will pick up on the demand quickly and make sure they carry the PCM+ product in stock. Of course, some shops are inherently sharper than others - and they can always be found in the "Reseller" section of our site ;)

method().man said:

Ahh, ok. My bottle was scratched up when I got it so I just read "Nanotherm" on the bottle and didn't bother reading it since it was kinda hard to make out :). Great product you guys have.

Sorry to hear that the label was scratched up. We try to make them "Gorrilla Proof", but I guess we'll have to try something else.

Anyway, application is very simple: Squeeze out a small drop on the CPU and the mating surface of the HSF (waterblock, or whatever) and then spread them to a very thin, relatively even coating on both surfaces and then attach the two together. That's about it.

Does it take a day or two to "bed in"?

I've put the PCM+ on in two very thin coats on both my W/B and CPU about 15mins ago and I've found my temps to be identical to my AS3 which I had on for about the last 2 months.

Just wondering if I can expect the temps to improve.

Cheers
LycanT

mmm, actually... spoke too soon.

The PCM+ is running 2 deg hotter :(

What have I done wrong?

mmmm.

It could be in your situation, the PCM+ won't give you any improvement. Like anything different people will get varying results. You may have put too much on, not enough, etc... there's too may variables to list off. But, I'd take a few mins to take off the heatsink clean it off, and re-apply, just to be sure.

LycanT said:
Does it take a day or two to "bed in"?

I've put the PCM+ on in two very thin coats on both my W/B and CPU about 15mins ago and I've found my temps to be identical to my AS3 which I had on for about the last 2 months.

Just wondering if I can expect the temps to improve.

Cheers
LycanT

You only need 1 VERY thin coat on the mating surfaces of your WB and your CPU. And I mean thin. 1 small drop is enough material to cover appr. 3 sq. in. , just to give you an idea. 2 coats is too much. Hope this helps ;)

How does this stuff compare to Shin-Etsu. I know Shin-Etsu is a pain to apply, but besides that, what are we talking about in temperature differences?

I just got my bottle of Nanotherm PCM+ yesterday. I applied it last night and did some testing this morning. So far it is spanking my AS3. Idle/load with AS3 was 30C/42C. Idle/load with PCM is 27C/38C. Excellent stuff. I am very pleased with the result.

We do have one Canadian Reseller already. You might check around the forum here or send me a pm for more info. Your suggestions about other good Canadian Resellers would be more than welcome, though.

Hmmm...I think it's time to get SVC.com supplied, too. I shall email them. :)

Back