• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting fluid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Smak

well i used to be in school for machining and remember using cutting fluids on some machines, but for the life of me i cannot remember what it was made of..i dropped out after the first semester lol, anyhow would it be beneficial in cooling a pc?

Como?

Cutting fluids as in you spray a really high velocity line of fluid and it cut through your material or cutting fluid as in something used to keep cutting blade temps in check?

yes, we used to spray it from a bottle on the lathes and on some bridgeports it was sprayed automatically to keep the cutting tips cool so they dont overheat and break.

i think it would but the draw back is its pretty viscus if i rember

so what you would gain in heat disapation would be lost in flow

unless you had some sort of special highspeed pump for the stuff that was designed to be on 24/7 then i dont think you be able to beat water

if someone were to find a hi speed pump that would be small and efficiant than it would be a good idea coz that stuff rocks.

Anyone ever thought of liquid nitrogen, like the stuff they use to spray warts with, man that stuff is cold as well.

LN2 (liquid nitrogen) is used by those crazy overclockers from Japan and Finland ;) But not circulating in watercooling system ;)

breez said:
LN2 (liquid nitrogen) is used by those crazy overclockers from Japan and Finland ;) But not circulating in watercooling system ;)

well maybe some of us westerners should hop aboard the nitrogen wagon eh lol.

there is no real point

its on the opposit side of the spectrum from the cutting stuff

its very cold but goes to quickly

you can only cool your comptuer for a few hours at most
its not a system that could be used permintly

Cutting fluid is a lubricant more than a coolant. It is used in lathes and mills to keep the cutting heads and bits cool, but it does not have any great thermal qualities, no better than water wetter and H20 together.

It mainly keeps the bits cool by lubricating the cut itself. Meaning it keeps the bit cooler by reducing the friction at the cut, resulting in less heat. Not anywhere near similar to cooling a CPU.

Go with Distilled water.

Back