• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Addware problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

This happened yesterday. I was searching the web, then an add pops up from my task bar. Doesn't seem wierd, so I run ad-aware and norton antivirus, ok nothing wrong. The thing is meant to be removed, but I notice that when I right click on system icons like My Computer, Recycle Bin, Explorer, My Documents, it shows a diet site address javascript. I don't know how to get rid of them, and I don't want any thing wierd on my important folders.
Also, when I right click on IE6, theres a link to the same site.
How can I get rid of these damn things?

EDIT: I'm running Win XP pro.

have to 2nd the updating of adaware 6 and download spybot. I use both and run them every couple weeks and my computer runs like a champ.

Actually, I suggest you ditch Ad-Aware.

Apparently they sold out to some of the spyware companies, and as such, I consider LavaSoft tools of the devil now.

SpyBot simply kicks heiny, though, so get THAT, and update it, and hopefully you'll be ok.

Oh yea...update spybot right away...has a few new updates out that the latest download will not have...

Ok, another problem arised. When I run spybot, it stops at 4615/8450 files. The actual file that it gets to is C2.lop
I've updated allready.

Beside using these two progs, try searching the registry for the exact string you see (that javascript ad string). It must be somewhere - find it, analyze its location, and (possibly) kill it.

At least, post here where does that thing reside in your registry, and post the exact string you see.

InThrees said:
Actually, I suggest you ditch Ad-Aware.

Apparently they sold out to some of the spyware companies, and as such, I consider LavaSoft tools of the devil now.

SpyBot simply kicks heiny, though, so get THAT, and update it, and hopefully you'll be ok.

Link?

I think he meant link to backup what you posted. I would like that link too. Considering I run both and they always miss something the other gets:eek:

Well, unfortunately, the only links I could provide go to a site I frequent that has a rather inappropriate name in the url, so it wouldn't be fitting here.

The condensed version:

Fully updated ad-aware version 6 failed to find spyware apps that had been out / known about for 6 months or longer, fully up-dated ad-aware 6 failed to find new.net, spybot found and eliminated all of them.

There was no article per-se, this is all supposition, and conclusions reached through experience, basically.

I would like to say that running BOTH of them is fine, obviously. I'm not saying Ad-Aware is bundled with spy-ware, I'm just saying they've really been dropping the ball lately. There was that long period when version 5 was no longer updated, and there were several failures with version 6 that I and my cronies noticed that were enough to convince us that AA has slipped too far to be any good.

Then by that logic I can say the same about spy bot:eek: As Adaware finds stuff spybot misses. No one program is going to be perfect and insinuating what you are insinuating without proof is just plain wrong:(

As I said, the only 'proof' I can offer is personal experience and the experience of a bunch of tech-savvy friends.

Personally, I can't say that I've ever seen SpyBot miss anything only to have Ad-Aware catch it, it's always been the other way around.

There's also no need to prove LavaSoft's lack of updates for a number of months before v6 came out, leaving a lot of people out in the cold.

It's just personal opinion and supposition - Known spyware was installed, Ad-Aware failed to find and remove it, while Spybot had no problem.

Reading this post, it seems kind of cold, and I don't mean to come off that way, I'm just not at all impressed with Ad-Aware any more.

Back