• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 98 takes forever to boot suddenly..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Working on a client's PC and was replacing the old pc with an identical one (just that its a clean install and not been used much) after moving over the old hdd, and some ram windows wont exactly boot. though it doesnt hang (progress meter thing on the splash screen keeps moving) and just wont boot up. I tried removing the extra hardware but that doesnt help. it will boot into safe mode in less than a minute but not regular. Ive seen win9x not shutdown but not not startup. anyone know how to fix this? just doesnt make sense... thanks

Try doing a selective boot up (Press F8 when it says Starting Windows 98...) and see where it's hanging. If you figure out where it's hanging, disable whatever it's hanging on, and see if everything still works in windows.

F4 said:
Try doing a selective boot up (Press F8 when it says Starting Windows 98...) and see where it's hanging. If you figure out where it's hanging, disable whatever it's hanging on, and see if everything still works in windows.

sorry, forgot to mention. I did try that and when I told it not toe run the thing that it hangs on it..... hangs =\.... and I cant seem to find it in the startup files its like turbovcd.vxd or something..

Turbovcd.vxd is a virtual device driver for a USR winmodem I believe, or possibly a scanner? While in Safe Mode, open up the system.ini...Start | run | Type system.ini and hit OK | Check for a device=turbovcd.vxd line in the [386Enh] section, and check in Device Manager for any problem devices. :)

Last edited:
Back