• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 98 & 2K Registry Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
I used to have a piece of paper with a registry key that I could delete and would make 98SE redetect all hardware...

Anybody remember that old trick?

Also, is there a similar key for 2K. I am going to replace (upgrade)mobo/CPU/memory & cards and don't think my current install of 2K will be able to handle all the changes without some help--if at all...

Anyone?

Thanks for amy help you might offer...

Instead of deleting the following Registry Keys, I think (afa Win98 goes) you're probably better off booting up in Safe Mode | Device Manager | Removing all your hardware and rebooting...or in the case of W2K, installing your new hardware and performing an in-place upgrade/repair install.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Enum...this Key is for Win98

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Enum...this Key is for W2K

I would strongly recommend that you back up any important data on your root partition before deleting the \ENUM Key. :)

Last edited:
Looks like something new to try... If it doesn't work I can use the old standby... (as I have images of the drives)...

I will also try the repair with 2K, it sounds more likely to be stable...

thanks a bunch!!!

this worked GREAT... I just did the upgrade.. all is well--it even went quick and smooth...

:D :D

Back