• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compound for WaterBlocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tok3n

Registered
I've used Arctic Silver 3 for awhile now but have been hearing some good things about Ceramique and stuff by Nanotherm. Can people give me any good suggestions or reviews?

I rememeber reading somewhere that the Nanotherm PCM+ is for air cooling only. That might have been the prototype EXP.

i thought the nanotherm was for phase change cooling??

i still use as3 havent had the desire to try the Ceramique yet not that much of a diffrence from what ive seen i have a 6 gram tube to use (which wiil take a while) before i try something new

I think the Nanotherm PCM+ is phase change material as in the thermal compound itself.

phase change material would be something that goes from one state of matter to another...not a thermal interface material

Nanotherm PCM+ is for anything. I just got some myself and am now using it in my watercooled rig. Temps dropped about 2-3 from ASIII. Not the most scientific results in the world but the stuff seems at least comparable if not better than ASIII.

KLowD9x said:
phase change material would be something that goes from one state of matter to another...not a thermal interface material

Phase Change Materials are used as TIMs. They liquefy and solidify each time heat is applied and removed.

Well, the new nanotherm PCM is also a "phase change material", just not in the way the we think about it. Standard PCM is a wax pad on a stock heatsink - it melts when things get hot and solidifies when things cool off. Nanotherm PCM, on the other hand, goes on liquid and then turns into a semi solid over time and when exposed to heat. Very weird, I'm not sure how it does this, but this is what the reviews say.

HighFlowRod's has got it just about right in terms of the function of a Phase Change Material. PCMs do qualify as thermal interface materials and have been used as TIM for years on stock HSFs. Most have not been terribly effective in terms of thermal performance, but that has been due to the poor material characteristics and non-optimized, wide "melt-and-freeze" temperature ranges of the older PCMs. Times have changed.

The Nanotherm PCM+ is optimized for junction temperatures above 30'C and is an excellent choice for a TIM in standard, non-refrigerated air and water-cooled applications. Since it will remain a solid and not "phase change" at temps much below 30'C, it is not recommended for low temp useage. Nanotherm Silver XTC, on the otherhand, has a tremendous temperature range - both high and low - and works quite well for sub-zero apps - or even in your oven for that matter.

BTW, allow me to dispel one myth that came up in the review. The PCM+ does not turn into a semi-solid with heat. The aqueous carrier simply evaporates quickly at room temp, turning the Nanotherm PCM+ from a liquid to a semi-solid wax-like coating. The liquid nature of the PCM+ is a design feature to make most easy to apply in a very thin layer coating, which is all you need.

Here's how it works: Heat from the processor is stored in the material and builds up until the material "melts" (although it doesn't run). Once it "melts," it releases the heat and then "freezes" to a solid again. This cycle happens very quickly (milliseconds) and repeats itself over and over again, effectively maintaining a relatively constant temperature in the thermal junction. Add some thermally conductive particles to the mix and you have a dual function material that also conducts heat via direct thermal conductivity in addition to the "phase change" cooling effect.

The Nanotherm PCM+ really is pretty cool stuff :cool:

Thanks.

Aynone have any good reviews for nanotherm PCM+ vs other brands? I've read some but it's really hard to tell. Honestly, I've grown very skeptical about reviews these days. It's so hard to tell a reliable source, let alone reliable data.

tok3n said:
Thanks.

Aynone have any good reviews for nanotherm PCM+ vs other brands? I've read some but it's really hard to tell. Honestly, I've grown very skeptical about reviews these days. It's so hard to tell a reliable source, let alone reliable data.

I haven't read any scientific reviews per se either. Usually, reviews consist of relying on the temp sensor on the die or mobo - hardly accurate. However, after using some of the stuff myself, I'll never go back to ASIII (or any of other kind of derivitive). Why? Well, temp wise, I got about 3 C lower. However, I doubt my sensor is that accurate, so a difference that small could easily be chalked up to pure statistical error. That being said, I think I can safely say that Nanotherm PCM+ performs at least as well as ASIII - maybe a little worse, maybe a little better; but certainly not enough to make a difference to me.

But here's a deal closer: PCM+ is waaay easier to apply than ASIII. Because of its consistency, applying the stuff is idiot-proof. Also, it doesn't make a mess like ASIII does. Finally, from what I gather from the bit of PCM+ that I scraped off my little spatula, I would surmise that PCM+ is also a lot easier to wipe off. I change hardware an awful lot, so the pure convenience of this stuff is just great.

This is to people who have used PCM+ and the inventor:

It works feel with waterblocks right?

I usually apply a dab of thermal compound onto base of the heatsink (or in this case, waterblock) where it would touch the cpu die or intergrate heat spreader (P4s). Then I use a plastic bag to rub it on and white off excess.

Finally I smooth out a thin layer onto the die or IHS itself.

But the Nanotherm PCM+ goes on a liquid then solidifies. How do you apply it? Do you also apply some on the base of the heatsink/waterblock like other compounds?

tok3n said:
This is to people who have used PCM+ and the inventor:

It works feel with waterblocks right?

I usually apply a dab of thermal compound onto base of the heatsink (or in this case, waterblock) where it would touch the cpu die or intergrate heat spreader (P4s). Then I use a plastic bag to rub it on and white off excess.

Finally I smooth out a thin layer onto the die or IHS itself.

But the Nanotherm PCM+ goes on a liquid then solidifies. How do you apply it? Do you also apply some on the base of the heatsink/waterblock like other compounds?

Simply apply one small drop on both the CPU die and the contacting surface of the HSF (or waterblock), rub it around a few times and spread it to a thin, relatively even layer on both surfaces, then attach your HSF (or waterblock) to the CPU. Applying the PCM+ properly is a very quick and easy process.

One thing I want to mention, though. The PCM+ is optimized for standard temperature air or water cooled applications where the operating junction temperature (between the HSF or waterblock and the CPU) and is 30'C or above. Since the Nanotherm PCM+ is a "phase change material" with a sharply defined "melt-and-freeze" temperature range (once again, above 30'C), it is not optimized for low temp, "refrigerated" cooling applications. At low temps, the PCM+ would remain in the solid state and not cycle back and forth between the liquid and solid state - storing heat and releasing heat - as it is designed to do. Our Nanotherm Blue II and Nanotherm Silver XTC, on the otherhand, work quite well at low (subzero) temps and would be a better choice for those type of applications

Last edited:
hey there nanotherm,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me with a question I have about PCM+. I'm currently setting up a water cooled system and want to mount the waterblock on the CPU now however it'll probably be at least another couple of days before I start up the PC. Nanotherm PCM+ is my chosen TIM for this setup but I've not worked with it before. I'm just wondering if there's timeframe in which it's best to action the phase change properties of the PCM+. can it go "off" after a while if not heated and cooled relatively soon after the initial application?

Back