• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2kPro makes my hard drive act funny

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
This happens in 2000 Professional, SP3. It doesn't happen in Windows XP SP1a.

I will sitting and doing just about anything, when my hard drive goes "THUNK" (like the heads park) and the drive powers down. Win2k immediately blue screens with a KERNEL_PAGE_MODE error or something similair.

I reboot, and the machine hangs while it waits for the drive to power itself back on and spin back up. Then it will continue to boot until it tries to boot from the HDD, and hangs again.

I can boot from the 2kPro CD, run the Recovery Console, and then use the FIXMBR command to repair the MBR on the offending HDD. Then I reboot and everything works fine.

All of my data is still intact and there are no bad sectors. Maxtor diagnostics also say the drive is fine. There is nothing in the Event Viewer after this happens. Cables are fine and PSU reports all voltages normal.

Another strange that's been plauging me since I've had this drive - in 2kPro, from the time I click "Empty Recycle Bin" to it actually being emptied is about 10 seconds. During this time the desktop completely locks up, but the Start bar/menu is/are fine. Affects both FAT32 and NTFS. Doesn't happen in XP.

I'm at a loss. What is going on?

ThePerfectCore said:
This happens in 2000 Professional, SP3. It doesn't happen in Windows XP SP1a.

I will sitting and doing just about anything, when my hard drive goes "THUNK" (like the heads park) and the drive powers down. Win2k immediately blue screens with a KERNEL_PAGE_MODE error or something similair.

I reboot, and the machine hangs while it waits for the drive to power itself back on and spin back up. Then it will continue to boot until it tries to boot from the HDD, and hangs again.

I can boot from the 2kPro CD, run the Recovery Console, and then use the FIXMBR command to repair the MBR on the offending HDD. Then I reboot and everything works fine.

All of my data is still intact and there are no bad sectors. Maxtor diagnostics also say the drive is fine. There is nothing in the Event Viewer after this happens. Cables are fine and PSU reports all voltages normal.

Another strange that's been plauging me since I've had this drive - in 2kPro, from the time I click "Empty Recycle Bin" to it actually being emptied is about 10 seconds. During this time the desktop completely locks up, but the Start bar/menu is/are fine. Affects both FAT32 and NTFS. Doesn't happen in XP.

I'm at a loss. What is going on?

check powersave mode options, may not be configured in windows properly or something like that (what it sounds like) as far as the recycle bin thing I have that problem as well.. dunno what to do about it though. I think I just have a buggy install.

Back