• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I asking to much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

still_runnin

Registered
The thought of watercooling has been running though my head for a short while but Im still not decided because of all the strict requirements I have. Im picky. See, my dorm has no AC so I heard it can get mighty warm in there. I dont want to run a half dozen fans or more to cool the 2500+ im planning on overclocking to 2.4+ making my computer sound like an airplane. That leaves watercooling for me but I need your input because this could be a waste of time (hopefully not yours for reading this :)) . Im looking at the X-dreamer which is just a midtower and I dont want a case larger than that. That throws out having a reservoir in the case. Second, Im looking to spend less than 100 on the cooling but that shouldnt be to much trouble since I will build my own shrouds, get the tubing and clamps from a hardware store, and buying/finding a car radiator. I dont care about the extra trouble I will have to go though just having a T line or shopping around because I know this system might be difficult. I know the 2500 can make it to 2.4 on air but I want my machine to look sweet and run quiet. I would be willing to pay the extra 50 for the watercooling over the slk900 and fan. I just want to know if Im asking for to much because I will concentrate the other components going in. Thanks

it'll be close but should be possible. For the radiator most would use the chevette heater core, I'm using one right now on the system in sig and it work quite well for me. the heatercore will run around 30 bux new or if you don't mind hitting the junkyard you can get one cheaper there. I just say not to skimp on the pump. The Eheim and hydor are good units that put out a good amount of pressure. those pumps typically run around 50 bux if my memory serves me so that's 80ish and a good block, if you're not making your own, would be the maze 4 or swiftech units. They can be hard for around 50 so that's 130 plus tubing, fittings, and fan but it'll be a nice setup that should work well. If you have to keep it under 100 you can save some cash and get the via aqua 1300 or maxi-jet for 20-25 which will bring you down under 100. Keep in mind though that teh via aqua is not rated to run inline as in outside a reservoir so longevity may be an issue as some have experienced. The Maxi-jets are ok to run inline but I have just had one start to go bad on me so take that as you will. Let us know if you have any other questions. Have fun!!

Yeah, you can deffinately do a good WC for under $100 (non-kit). Even cheaper if you can pull favors from friends/relatives who work in stores & give you a discount.

Just need pump, blocks, hose, fittings. Res isn't needed & only impedes total flow, but makes bleeding easier usually.

2.4ghz isn't super common you know. You should consider that the 2500+ just might top out at 2.2 or lower, and the watercooling would turn out to be overkill. Unless you already have the 2500 and KNOW it will do 2.4, but the temperatures were too high.

I concur that you can do quite well for not much money, but I must say that the SLK series are some of the BEST air cooling solutions available: when used with a high CFM fan the cooling results are right in the same ballpark as water cooling, albeit noisier. A quiet SLK can do better than a bad water cooling system.....but it will NOT do as well as a good one. :)

On reservoirs: I don't use them; the only reservoirs that may aid the pump are the ones that mount directly to the pump suction barb and even there any benefit over a properly designed system with a T-Line is minimal.
As long as your tubing is sized well and kink-free a reservoir-free system is at least as good as one that has a reservoir; "draw" has little impact in a properly designed system-
Pumps pump, they don't suck.
Basically, your pump should NOT be "sucking" water into itself but pumping it around the loop into itself.

Back