• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

33C Good Idle Temp for Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

I know that most of these in socket temp sensors are inaccurate, but this is what is being reported.

Got a Vantec 92mm Tornado mouted where the 3 empty drive bays are. Duct going from there straight over the CPU HSF, which is a Dr Thermal TI-V77N with a crappy 80mm fan. Room temp is 30C and case temp is basically irrelevant, but also around 30C.

Waiting on my SK-7 to come in, seein if i can get better results on that. Tell me what you think.

Well yes it is 'good', but idle temperatures mean absolutely nothing... apart from telling you that your processor will not run any cooler with your current cooling.

Well, I did a "burn in" test using sandra, and my room was a little hotter, so the idle temp was about 36C. After thr burn in was complete, it was reporting the CPU temp to be about 39C.

I generally see around 3c difference between my Bios reported temps and MBM temps. The Bios temps are the higher of the two.

When just idling in the Bios with an ambient of ~20c it usually reads 36 - 38c. Once in windoes it usually reads ~33 - 36 Idle. When my ambient is ~20 - 23 and system under full load I dont go higher than 40c.

CGR said:
I generally see around 3c difference between my Bios reported temps and MBM temps. The Bios temps are the higher of the two.

When just idling in the Bios with an ambient of ~20c it usually reads 36 - 38c. Once in windoes it usually reads ~33 - 36 Idle. When my ambient is ~20 - 23 and system under full load I dont go higher than 40c.

When you are in your BOIS, your computer is not sitting idle. During the boot sequence, and while in the BIOS, a computer's processor is placed under a bit of a load. This is why we see temps a few degrees higher in the BIOS than when sitting idle in an OS.

its not going to be 100% load though, a little bit of activity cant change it 3c can it?

Actually, it can. It depends on the setup, but in general I'd say that most computers are under a 25 - 40% load while in the BIOS. This is based on observing temperature differences in different systems for a while now. It's not easy to tell, but based on observing temperatures at different loads, that's my best guess.

Even with only a 25% load, your temps could easily rise 3°c, depending on what heatsink and fan combo you're using.

Software monitors aren't the best thing to measure the true die temp, even BIOS (although some are accurate, some are not). If you can pick one up somewhere, a hardware monitor will work much better. However, those temps are very good, so I don't think that it is really a big deal if they are off by a few degrees. By the way, those are some great pics for air cooling, you have any pics of your setup?

"33 C is a great idle temp. anything below 40 is good idle temps imo"
I get about 28C under load on my 800MHz P3 because I have a Britney HSF on the CPU.

I had some pictures of my rig, but that was before i ducted the tornado to the CPU. I will see if i cant get some new ones by this weekend.

Also, i doubt it.. but i will probably look to see how much a probe is, might think about getting one.

Back