• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Did I Try and Upgrad!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Ok I like a dumb donkey decieded to upgrade to XPpro from 2k. Now it wont recognize my IBM optical navigator mouse and also I cant get my NEC USB 2.0 PCI adapter card to work either. I am one stupid SOB to think it was going to go smoothly. any ideas on getting these two things to work?

this is just a thought, but have you tried to get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's websites? that would probably be the best thing to do. i would bet that they have winxp drivers. the devices are probably listed under the "other devices" section...

did you install XP sp1? The USB 2.0 drivers were not in the original XP install.

this is a bit off topic but whats a laundry list? I heard the expression before but never quite understood what it meant. Do people make a list of things they need to wash?

To make my post not completely useless, when I upgraded to XP Pro, it had comatability issues with my burner. I downloaded latest drivers from the manufacturer and everything was fine.

Well I finally got the the USB pci card to work. Sp1 was downloaded but I had to go and get 2.0 drivers for the Mobo as its an old board. Also I have to use a PS2 adapter for my mouse to work. Dont know why it wont work with the USB but it just doesnt. THis kinda sux cuz I have a KVM switch and I used my USB mouse for my main rig and had an old PS2 mouse for for the KVM. Now that my USB mouse is taking up the PS2 slot I have to crawl under my desk and switch em if I want to look at my server. I got the KVM cuz VNC was jsut too slow with my ol' Pentium 200 server :). I guess I'll have to try and find a PS2 Y splitter (do they make em'?) so I don't have to be crawling under my desk.

Might seem wierd but did you try the mouse in a different USB port, I had mine stop working after flashing my BIOS, worked fine in the PS2 port but no USB at all, although my USB gamepad worked fine. I don't know how I came about it, but I booted my rig up with the mouse unplugged and then once windows was loaded i plugged it into a different port than usual and it detected it! Its worth a try.

Perhaps also try unistalling the PS2 port mouse in the device manager then rebooting and doing the method above. Or maybe its just an issue with that particular brand of mouse. You would think it would work fine if it worked in 2k, as XP is based on the 2k kernal :rolleyes:

BTW, did you do a clean install or the actual upgrade over 2k? I know that sometimes causes problems.

Oh it was an upgrade.......Thats where most of my problems started but I did 2 other comps but they didnt have half the crap on them as my main rig.

Back