• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is 1gig needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Pretty soon ill be buyin a new system pretty much (mobo,cpu,psu,and memory). I was wondering if you guys though 1 gig of memory is really worth it or not. Im trying to decide between 1 gig of memory and cheaper other stuff or 512Mb and other stuff thats alittle more exepensive. I usually dont have alot of stuff running at once. Typically its just CS but when im not playin cs its usually aol,msn,some msn messages,kazaa,some internet explorer stuff,videocard oc prog,and sometimes other stuff. Right now 256Mb of sdram seems to be holding up REASONABLY.

if you overclock you should go with 512 of more expensive stuff.. if you just run everything at stock then maybe you should get the gig of cheaper stuff..

then no, no need for 1 gig. I would recommend gettign a 512 stick of good stuff and upgrading later. Unlike video card, mobo, cpu and stuff, it is easy to add more and make better.

I do overclock so I guess I will go with the 512. Do you guys have any reccomendations. Iv been looking at the kingston hyperx and the corsair extreme.

with the predictable way ram prices fall its probly best that you get just the 512 and not be sorry that 18 months later your ram cost only 20% of what you paid for it

also for OCing better to ruin 1 stick then 2 ;)

never buy cheap ram, if you can only afford 128 megs of good ram youll be better off. Same as with a motherboard get the best you can, the more features the better. ALLEN

if u play cs u prolly dont need to upgrade.. because cs doesnt require a very good computer at all..
my p3 866 with 512 pc133 and a ti200 ran 1152x864 at 100fsb 90% of the time, never dropped below about 75 though...
so save your money unless you wanna play a real game

max

One thing to think about. If you get a new mobo that has dual channel ddr capabiality, youi need to have 2 sticks of memory to get the dual channal to work right. So check wht specs the mobo need to use dual channel ddr. I just bought a DFI lanparty 875pro and at first i had my one 512 stick in slots 1 and 2. Afer reading the mobo manual I learned that you must put one stick in slot 1 and one stick in slot 3 in order for dual channel to work right. After i change my memory setup and rebooted the BIOS saw my ram as dual channel ram. I an mached pair of OCZ dual ch. EL PC3500 DDR.

Back