• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal pad removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bk94si

Okay, I'm a noob and made the mistake of using the stock thermal pad that came with the stock heat sink. I was going to try AS3, then I read the instructions that say you can't get off all the wax from the thermal pad. Is this correct and am I now stuck with the thermal pad unless I replace the heatsink?

Welcome to the forums!!!

I've taken the stock hsf off a P4 1.6ghz and it takes a lot of elbow grease. You can also use acetone based nail polish cleaner to get it off. Then apply AS3 and you're good to go.

-Bobby

Thanks, I will give it a go. The instructions just say it is impossible to get all the wax off. Maybe if you get off 99%, that's good enough.

i had to use a razor to get the pad off my stock AMD hs when I used it for another project. If you do use a razor you tend to scratch the HS, so make sure you lap it afterwards so you can get rid of any nicks you may make.

You can get 99.99% off with some elbow grease. You're never going to get it all off, there will still be some residual wax in the microscopic cracks that the AS3 is supposed to fill in. Also don't use fingernail polish remover; while it is acetone based it also has scented oils in it that don't go away very easily. WD-40 works, but it is engineered not to evaporate, and will leave a residue. Like the instructions say; a xylene based cleaner is the best option.

Since you have already melted the pad all you have to do is lap the HS.

Okay, I decided not to hassle trying to get it off. I found a SK-7 for $15.99. Better heatsink, no hassles. Thanks for all the input though.

Five minutes of scrubbing with acetone got the pad off my CPU quite nicely. I didn't bother cleaning off the heatsink since I was replacing it with an SLK-900.

Constantinos said:
Alcohol works pretty good too.

This is a good option. You might want to consider brake cleaner as well. It does very nice job cleaning and leaves little to no residue behind.

Back