• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my WW but not too happy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EclipseJP

I had a Z4 waterblock on there with 3/8 inch tubing with a Black ice xtreme radiator and Now i have 1/2 inch tubing a bigger flow fan and getting the same temps. Did I just waste 60 bucks or am I in need of a bigger pump. I have the 1048. BTW there is no kinks in any of my tubing or no bubbles.

im leaning towards you wasted $60:)

If your not running a pelt or anything of that nature, then you should have just stuck with 3/8. The increased flow may help temps by 1-2 degrees but nothing more

eh? said:
im leaning towards you wasted $60:)

If your not running a pelt or anything of that nature, then you should have just stuck with 3/8. The increased flow may help temps by 1-2 degrees but nothing more

The block is much better so unless he does need more flow he should be able to get it to work.

Why would it matter if he was running a pelt?

im leaning towards you wasted $60. If your not running a pelt or anything of that nature, then you should have just stuck with 3/8. The increased flow may help temps by 1-2 degrees but nothing more

obviously u dont know what the WhiteWater is. yeah maybe he got only 1-2 degrees on the flow upgrade but add 4C to 6C from the waterblock upgrade.

its probably what thorilan said, remount your block and apply thinner paste if its not already thin.

who cares about your temps? Use the waterblock that gives you the highest overall overclock.

With which setup were you getting faster speeds?

but he will get a better overclock with lower temps...the "overclock" doesn't care what block he uses...it cares what the temp is...so if the temp is the same...the overclock is most likely the same (which is why we all strive to decrease our temps)....so unless he can get it to work right....possibly be getting a more powerful pump because i don't kno what those pump specs are but if it has a low head and a low flow rate it won't work right...the white water has a nozzel on it that is a jet. Its called jet impingement and requires high flow for it to work correcty....

try a more powerful pump or somehow try increasing the flow resistance (wherever it may be) in your system

you might also try reseating the block. BTW...im assuming its bolted on, correct?....

EclipseJP said:
I had a Z4 waterblock on there with 3/8 inch tubing with a Black ice xtreme radiator and Now i have 1/2 inch tubing a bigger flow fan and getting the same temps. Did I just waste 60 bucks or am I in need of a bigger pump. I have the 1048. BTW there is no kinks in any of my tubing or no bubbles.
First, the WW will outperform the Z4 by at least 6C, realistically more. Second, the 8RDA/+ is the WORST when it comes to temp monitoring, it uses a PIN on the CPU to gage temps. How many times did you mount the block?

I tried about 3 times. The overclock is the same. Maybe it needs better lapping. I didnt think the lapping job looked too good on it but the directions said its lapped good.

Also would it be better if I had the pump right before the block. Right now I have the pump before the radiator then to the WW?

To the radaitor then to the block is always better, you have it setup fine. I would say reseat the block yet again and make sure you are using the right amount of compound on it. I know it gets old but it took me about 4-5 times of seating my block to finally get it right and it dropped around 5 degrees.

I know people will bash me as they always do when I say this but I don't think the ww block is all that big of a deal. People all jumped on the bandwagon and bought these overpriced blocks yet only about half have had major temp drops. As I have said before it may have been topdog when it came out but may not be now.

Like some of these guys have said -- the WW is a known better block, proven to have lower temps. If you're not getting better temps now, either you're doing something wrong (AS spread etc.) or something has changed (ambient temps etc.).

Good luck, hope you get your temps down. Then again as nikhsub1 said, you're relying on an inaccurate instrument for your temp readouts.

When talking about the motherboards wrong temps you guys are missing something. If they are wrong now they were wrong before meaning there still should have been a drop, even if the motherboard is reading it high or low.

wannaoc said:
When talking about the motherboards wrong temps you guys are missing something. If they are wrong now they were wrong before meaning there still should have been a drop, even if the motherboard is reading it high or low.
Not necessarily and don't be too sure.

dont fret it man, its just that the board isnt reading the temps correctly. On one of my old motherboards I got the same temps on air as I did on water. that was with a cheap coolermaster heatsink and little fan.

I wouldnt lap the waterblock. Its probably got the best lapping job on it that can possibly be done unless you have a precision gruond slab of granite and really good lapping skills.

Jon

As I have said before it may have been topdog when it came out but may not be now.

then who is top dog now? who's come out w/ a block that can come close to the WhiteWater commercially? the best would be the Cascade, but maybe u dont trust the hype on the Cascade either.

wannaoc said:

I know people will bash me as they always do when I say this but I don't think the ww block is all that big of a deal. People all jumped on the bandwagon and bought these overpriced blocks yet only about half have had major temp drops. As I have said before it may have been topdog when it came out but may not be now.

Please don't misled people. The White Water has been proven to be a significantly better block through scientific testing.

"Only half have had major temp drops" Where did you hear this?

EclipseJP - When you moved to 1/2" tubing, were there any spots that might have gotten kinked or partially closed? Most 1/2" ID tubing is nowhere near as flexible as comparable 3/8" ID tubing.

If you've got it mounted well, and there's no kinks, it's probably just fine.

Back