• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor & Login problem in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Serville

Registered
FIRST PROBLEM :
XP installed 3 monitors --> 2 default monitors + 1 Viewsonic monitor. When the 2 default monitors deleted from Device Manager, XP will keep redetecting and reinstall both. Now, I have 3 monitors in Device Manager. XP is using the correct Viewsonic monitor as default, but I don't understand why it keeps redetecting the 2 default monitors ???
My other XP system works correctly by detecting only 1 monitor.

I don't know if this causes my next problem:
Sometimes XP boots into windows with black screen, as if the monitor goes into standby mode. It power on fine --> boots into Windows --> black screen right before it enters Windows environement (before login screen ?) ---> monitor goes black into standby. It seems the O/S boots successfully into Windows because I can see the harddisk activity, and I can power down XP correctly without errors even when the screen goes black.

SECOND PROBLEM :
The login screen does not show up even with enabling the "Welcome screen" , and disabling "automatic login" in TweakUI.

Does your video card have TV out?...if so, that's the source of the extra monitors in Device Manager (i.e. one for SVideo out and one for the RCA video out).

If there's only one user registered on the computer, and the Guest account is disabled, the "Welcome" logon screen won't be displayed before the account is logged on...even after enabling the "Use the Welcome screen" option, disabling "Automatic login" in TweakUI, or enabling the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option under "User Accounts".

Here are some MSKB articles that may help afa the black screen on boot...

Black Screen on Boot

Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows

Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen :)

Last edited:
IMHO the problem is that XP somehow selects one of those other monitors as default and gives all output there, not giving anything to your real monitor. Try booting into Safe Mode and playing around with monitors - maybe you'll have to set those two monitors to "disabled" status.

Problem solved.

I think you're right. The 2 default monitors are meant for the one for SVideo out and one for the RCA video out.

I also solved the Login screen problem. It seems enabling Guest Account in WinXP will not make the login screen appears. I think the default Guest Account WinXP has set up the first time is only meant for remote users, which is why XP still assume there is still only 1 direct user (the administrator) for the computer.
Creating a new user account solves the problem. I just need to deactivate the default Guest Account in order not to show it up in the login screen.

Thank you everyone.

Back