• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping Sandpaper?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Where does everyone get there like 800-**** sandpaper? I have called about every single store that might even have a chance of having sandpaper, and the highest iv gotten to is 600 grits!!!!!!!!

OHHHH, no wonder i was calling like hardware and stuff, brb and see if im successful.:p

Lowes has 1200grit? are you sure youre looking in the right place? of course, 1200 doesnt do anything but make it really shiny.

lowes does not have 1200 grit... where did you get that?

BUT SUCESS thank you Rutkus i called auto zone, they have from 800-1500. YAY THANKS AGAIN

If I may divert this thread slightly, do you think that lapping past 600 grit gives any considerable gains in performance, or are you just trying to get a nice finish? I tend to believe that at around 600 grit, lapping does nothing other than enhance visual appeal.

I have no idea... this is my first time... but i do want the mirror finish:D but it prolly won't drop temps any more than a good lapping without a mirror finish

Ah. Be sure to post some pics when you're done. Theres nothing more beautiful to an overclocker than a glistening heatsink...except maybe a glistening waterblock ;). 600 is usually where it should stop making any considerable difference btw, unless you want to start trying to lap the core.

The goal of lapping is make the base perfectly flat, not perfectly shiny ;)

600 was good enough for me.

~DP

To continue the slight diversion of the original thread intent (since that has been solved ;))

I am one of the people that have had success going past 600 grit when lapping- on some but not all sinks/blocks.

My theory is: if you have a sink that starts OFF pretty flat and well made, lapping past 600 or so will get you very little although pssoibly a very, VERY slight additional advantage.

If you have an el-cheapo sink, such as many that I have used....lapping further may make a bigger difference.

I have observed this in practice but never really tested the theory fully.

I usually start with 400 unless the sink is atrocious (rare) then go 600 maybe 800. If the sink/block started off good I may stop there, but I usually go ahead and spend a minute or two with 1200 or 1500 (depending on what was at the store the last time I bought wet/dry sandpaper) out of habit. :)

It usually only takes me about 10 or 15 minutes for all but the WORST sinks.

awsome thanks. and one more quick thing what method do you use? I think im going for the rotate 90 degrees, that good?

I used the 90 degree method myself. I think the most important part is that you do it on a perfectly flat surface and always try to apply pressure downward evenly so that the HS remains as flat as possible to avoid any misshaping of the HS.

NO!!! Don't rotate the HS!

This is grant you a convex HS. After my second session of lapping my SLK-800 using BillA's method, sure enough, the HS base is starting to be angled. Meaning that it's perfectly flat, but a side view of the base shows it to look like a trapezoid. Sand in ONLY one direction. pick it up, put it back in its starting place, then sand again. This is the best method to lap as suggested by BillA and Graystar.

Back