• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK 900U Came with...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

My SLK 900U came with these little things made my 3M. One is a little white foam square and then there are two long and very narrow black peices of rubbery material that are also make by 3m... what are these and what am I supposed to do with them? They are not in the intructions...

:D hi, cant answer that, but i'm thinking of getting the slk 800........so if you find some more infor. on that let me know.thanks

the black strips are for putting between the fan and the h/s to reduce vibrations. the white pads are for putting on the base of the h/s to help reduce the possiblilty of crushing the cpu core. put one in each corner.

im sorry, could you please elaborate? Where exactly between the fan? And the four corners of the heatsink? It wouldn't touch anything...

the slk-900 has steps.. you would put the rubber next to the steps depending on the fan size you use. you would put the rubber 1 step lower than the fan size you use. so if you're gonna use 92 mm put it on the 80 mm steps.. the rubber is slightly taller then the steps so when you put it there it'll reduce vibrations

and the white foam parts? at the four corners of the heatsink itself?

yes they do. trust me. its what you have to do.

do you see the black round pads on the cpu? well they dont touch the base of the heatsink because the base it too narrow - thats why you stick the white pads to the base.

Well, if they aren't going to touch anything, I don't think you need to use them. Intel has a built in heat spreader which protects the core, while AMD chips dont. The pads are just used to protect AMD cores.

and I don't use those foam pads on my slk's and sk's even though they are cooling athlons - just ignore them.

it has nothing to do with mounting skills.those pad also offer some protection from shock. belive me, the slightest knock and an slk WILL chip your cpu without those pads on.

james.miller said:
it has nothing to do with mounting skills.those pad also offer some protection from shock. belive me, the slightest knock and an slk WILL chip your cpu without those pads on.

Ah, thats a good point too... mountin skills still count, you can chip it like that as well.

wait i thought you just said to ingnore them since i was using an intel... or were you talking to Tycho?

Back