• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wooden Reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeD

Registered
I am exploring creating a reservoir out of wood for my yet to be built water cooling system. I want to use wood because it would be overall easier to construct at my house than metal, which is the other option. I am posting this mainly to see what I can use to seal the wood on the inside so water doesn't leak out. I was thinking along the lines of fiberglass resin or silicone, but i'm not sure if this would be the best and safest. The reservoir will not be under any pressure because the pump will be next in line sucking water from the reservoir. Any ideas, concerns or comments are greatly appreciated.

a concern would be the wood rotting......that 'n I think wood is semi porous, 'n I'm not sure if the coating would last, it'd be easier to make one out of tuberware

Yeah, I could easily make one out of a plastic container, but it wouldn't look as cool. If I could find a sealer that could last and continue to keep the water out of the wood, the wood wouldn't even start to degrade. A sealer really tough like something used on car bodies like bondo or the finishing coat on the paint might work long enough....

Why don't you just make a tupperware res, but put wood panels around it? This would be easier and safer than a true wood res.

You're asking for trouble with using wood. Water contamination and leaking are big concerns. I think making an electrical box resevoir would save you a lot of headache.

~DP

Posts about 'Corrosion' and 'Bacteria' are getting kind of boring, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see the first 'Termites!' post. :)

If your hell bent on using wood; get some marine varnish and slather it on. It shouldn't be to hard to find in the bay area.

I know it works. My freshman year of High School we built a HUGE filter for the aquaculture lab out of 3/4" plywood. Last time I saw it, four years later, it looked just the same as the day we built it.

I think epoxy would be your best bet or that plastic truck bedliner stuff you brush on. Either way I'd seal it AFTER you put the fittings for the tbing so that you KNOW the connections are water tight. Good luck!!

well if you want it just look woody.. what about plastic sheeting (glazing stuff for replacing picture frames etc we can get it at HOMEBASE B&Q etc in the uk .. try homedepot? over there)

and line the insides of the wood with the stuff then seal the corners with silcon sealent (from a silcon gun - the stuff used in bathrooms and windows etc)

then you have a nice wooden res with a safe plastic inside!

So many great ideas are shot down by the non-believers. Why, just the other day my diagrams for an asbestos lined Kool-Aid pitcher were torn to pieces by similar critics. We'll see who's sorry next time THEIR pitcher bursts into flames.

I think a good way to get around this would be to craft your resivoir out of Titanium and then paste a wood veneer around it. Durability+looks!

*hah*

fool!.. hellooooo titiaum.. not cheep .. and anyway veneers look cheap..

try again.. maybe make the res out of uranuim.. if you ever change your res you could sell it off to the highest bidder.

wormwood said:
Posts about 'Corrosion' and 'Bacteria' are getting kind of boring, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see the first 'Termites!' post. :)

What about the termites in your case!!!!!!!! are you crazy!?!?!

Termites.. mmm .. i wonder what going through a pump would do to a termite.. or wood worms!.. neat idea.. lets all put bugs in our wc systems!.. .. yeh! get some uv die.. a nice uv light and youve got .. floating .. flow indicators!!! yeh! see useful... ever need to drain your system?.. bug pizza! yah!

Back