• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[] Longhorn OS []

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenji

Registered
What do you guys think about Longhorn?

(for those of you who dont knwo what that is, "Imagine a Windows operating system that makes the physical location of your files irrelevant. Imagine that, regardless of where you save a file, you can search for it, find it, and open it from any location on your computer--so that anytime you need to organize, access, or otherwise manage any file on your system, it's all just one viewing pane away" you can read about it here:

http://www.iapplianceweb.com/story/OEG20030507S0038

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardware/desktops/0,39001729,39123340,00.htm

This is the start of Microsoft Paladium and as such I think its terrible for the user, I do not like being told what is possible to run or play on my own computer system.
Personally I do not believe that Longhorn will offer as much to the user as it will to MS

The article says that it will be continuously indexing files in the background. That will slow the system down quite a big. Its like when norton is scanning stuff in the background, you can notice it being a bit slower. I wonder what the system requirements are going to be for Longhorn. Of course by 2005 we should have crazy fast computers!
Oh and one more thing.
Booooooooooo! for Palladium!

Yeah, I'm kind of hung up on the security aspect of the entire project as well. They are touting it as if the major importance of the new protection systems (Palladium etc) are FOR the end user when in actuality it's to help M$ keep track of who has registered what.

Furthermore, with this kind of technology in place, other software companies will want to play ball with M$ as their software and other copyrighted material will be scanned for proper licensing.

Not that I don't believe they have right to cover their own behinds, but if I'm really stuck on the fact that if I have a CD, a game, or a proggie that I want to let my friend borrow, use, or just try out to see if he likes it, this could be incorrectly deduced as copyright infringement and Longhorn could shut down his computer (or what ever the consequences are).

Personally, XP pro will be the last M$ OS I use in my home. Since I'm the MIS Director for my work, I'm also pushing us into going Linux by the end of the year.

Big Brother is getting too nosey for my tastes.

Wedo

Arguments about Palladium aside...

kenji said:
"Imagine a Windows operating system that makes the physical location of your files irrelevant. Imagine that, regardless of where you save a file, you can search for it, find it, and open it from any location on your computer

I don't see why this would be useful. I wouldn't want to have to search for files when I know where they are. Directory trees exist for a reason after all.

I mean, I have files scattered across 5 networked computers and I never have trouble finding anything. If people can't even keep track of their files on one computer they must be hella disorganized.

I am also more than skeptical of the usefulness of longhorn.

Although, I dont think palladium will be the big brother experience many fear- I dont think it will be anything but bad for the end user.

Hopefully, desktop linux will have truly come of age for the non geek types by the time it comes out :)

yea well its gonna have other features im sure that will make it worth ur while ;) so dont worry i mean think about when xp came out and everyone was like ewwy! its fisherprice lookin now its the os of choice for gamers and most ocers

UnseenMenace said:
This is the start of Microsoft Paladium and as such I think its terrible for the user, I do not like being told what is possible to run or play on my own computer system.
Personally I do not believe that Longhorn will ofer as much to the user as it will to MS

I agree. But don't understand the point, won't people just stick with their OSes like 2000, XP, Linux?

Heat said:
I agree. But don't understand the point, won't people just stick with their OSes like 2000, XP, Linux?
That is what I was thinking.

But thinking about the trends in OSes: Why aren't more people running their boxes on DOS? I mean, Win95 was so slow and buggy.. there wasn't too many people who wanted to use it.

DOS would run wicked fast on my 1.3 Ghz Athlon box... so why am I using Win2k? It's bigger, has more features, and that's where the developers are. If the application developers didn't bother to upgrade to Win95, and still wrote DOS programs, Win95 never would have taken off, and we would all be using DOS version 17.3 right now.

On the other hand, with all the fear surrounding Palladium, if no-one upgrades, it would be suicide for developers to devlop applications for an OS that no-one would use.

fillet54 said:
Avalon is the totally rewritten graphics engine for windows. Rendering video to the screen is supposed to take very little processor power. It looks like its gonna be cool. Aero is suposed to be revealed in Oct. I think . This site has more specific information concerning Longhorn.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2003.asp

Fil
Does rendering graphics place that much of a demand on processor power anyway ?.. I was of the opinion that the high powered graphic cards currently available take the majority of this workload, and by the time Longhorn ships.. 8x AGP will be standard and PCI express will be pushing bandwidth and reducing bottlenecks and graphics cards will have improved further.

Attempting to source out the truth regarding Longhorn from a site which obviously depends upon Windows existence is not something I take as unbiased opinions

UberBlue said:
Don't forget about the Direct-X enabled desktop... Supposed to be able to do some cool stuff.

Wow a mutimedia enhanced desktop, just what we need is pretty bloatware.. I assume that they will have a fantastic idea such as playing media across a coporate network to the desktop.... This will obviously be exploited in the same way as the messenger service was and instead of getting pop ups we will get desktop multimedia spam :rolleyes:

Welcome to the future of bloatware

longhorn_winhec_09.png

The Athens PC is a prototype of what Longhorn era-PCs should look like.

:rolleyes:Say goodbye to your Towers:rolleyes:

Thats my phone in there!!! Who stole it?!?! *brrr.brr.brrr* looks in his pocket, "there u are sweety"

What can i say, that monitor looks gay, the keyboard looks gay. Lemme just put it this way, everything in there looks gay but my phone. Id rather stick to my current pc desktop.

I'm not sure I'd even give props to that phone...

But towerless desktop PCs have been around for a while. Few people buy them though. Why get something like that when you can just buy a laptop?

Back