• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7-S, OCZ PC3200 1GB Dual Channel Kit, And XP Professional, got PROBLEMS HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Virtual-Reality

Registered
Abit NF7-S, OCZ PC3200 1GB Dual Channel Kit, And XP Professional, got PROBLEMS HELP!

Basically i got issues with the ram and xp,

system spec is as follows:

Abit NF7-S V2.0,
AthlonXP 2500
Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB,
Antec Truepower 550W,
Pioneer DVD-RW 106,
Antec Plusview 1000AMG.
OCZ PC3200 1GB Dual Channel Kit (2x 512MB)

Heres the problem and how it came up:

Basically all my copies of XP are on cd-r's and none of them are bootable so i had to do a fresh reinstall, so i had to install 98 first and then xp over that however, 98 wouldnt install with the 1GB Ram in channels 1 and 3 so i had to take out 1 512mb dimm, then 98 installed fine, i removed the dimm from socket 3, after this was done i installed xp got all my programs installed etc as wel as drivers, next i turned my pc off put the other stick of ram back in slot 3 and dual channel was enabled, when xp tries to boot i get message saying sorry for inconvienience but windows did not start this may be due to a recent hardware or software change etc... i tried starting windows normally but it wouldnt start, i tried safemode, it wouldnt run and i tried last known configuration that worked and it didnt start, and other times i just get a blue screen with an error on it,

however when i take out the ram stick from slot 3 and just have 512mb in the pc it boots xp fine, also what i found interesting was that xp still boots with the ram in slots 1 and 2 without the dual channel, however i receive errors and the pc sometimes shuts itself down, but with one stick of ram in only it works fine!

I know the ram sticks arent faulty because they have been run in other boards and all is well,

How can i solve this problem? i was thinking by formatting and doing a fresh install from a bootable 2000 professional cd wit hthe 1gb ram in and dual channel enabled and then installing xp over the top of that, and it should boot because of there being no hardware changes since it was installed etc..

Any ideas on how to solve this problem without doing a full reinstall and losing all my data etc?

squeezecat said:
could be a bad ran slot can u try dual channel with slot 2 and 4??

Try slots 3 and 2 to see if you can use them.

Also, if you have upgrades, you can set the CD-ROM as first boot device and then put your original 98 or 2000 disk in when it asks for it.

See this site for making boot copies of Windows XP

Bootdisk.com

Hope this helps....

why dont you download xp boot disk?
my NF7-S ver2 and OCZ 3500 512mb and 3200 512mb, not dual channel kit but dual chanel mode enabled, XP pro, i have no problem here

Back