• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater core, fan, and bleeding recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

Hey all, just looking for some advice on which parts are best, if anyone can give some info I'd much appreciate it! I am confused about some stuff too

I ordered my pump / reservoir / waterblock / hoses and got them in the mail today. next step is to get the heater core and fan, then I can hook it all up right? I don't know what to do about a shroud, I may just resort to duct tape for a while lol

anyway, what heater core do you guys think is best? I would like one thats small enough to fit in my case...

also I'm confused about the heater core intake and outgoing barbs. why are they always 2 different sizes? and how can I get them to match up with my system, if they're 2 different sizes?

also I'll need a fan, my main requirement here is that it's QUIET.. any suggestions?

lastly, I'll need to bleed the system. I guess the best way is what was mentioned previously-- run it for a few hours / days and let the air collect in the res? any other methods? my pump seems to be a lot more noisy when there's air bubbles ****ing it off..

for the record, here's the stuff I got:

Via Aqua 1300 Pump / reservoir combo. 1/2 " barbs

Danger Den Maze 4 WB. 1/2 " plastic barbs

7' of 1/2" tubing

oh yea I gotta get some clamps too

here's links to my stuff if no one is familiar with it

thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!

http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...ROD&Product_Code=DD-Maze4-SA&Category_Code=WB

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/152.htm?816

I ordered my pump / reservoir / waterblock / hoses and got them in the mail today. next step is to get the heater core and fan, then I can hook it all up right? I don't know what to do about a shroud, I may just resort to duct tape for a while lol

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189327&highlight=Tupperware There is a guide to making shrouds for the heatercore out of Tupperware containers.

anyway, what heater core do you guys think is best? I would like one thats small enough to fit in my case...

The '86 or '87 Chevy Chevette heatercores are about 6" tall x 6" wide x 2" thick, will fit into most mid tower cases, and perform very well.

also I'm confused about the heater core intake and outgoing barbs. why are they always 2 different sizes? and how can I get them to match up with my system, if they're 2 different sizes?

Most people take a dremel or a hack saw and cut them back a bit. Then you go to a plumbing store or a hardware store with a plumbing section and get some 1/2" OD Brass hose barbs. You can either solder them onto the old barbs that came with the heatercore, or you can use some JB weld to hold them in place.

also I'll need a fan, my main requirement here is that it's QUIET.. any suggestions?

Panaflow makes good quiet fans. I would just look for something that is lower than 35dBa, and still pushes a good ammount of air, like 70CFM.

lastly, I'll need to bleed the system. I guess the best way is what was mentioned previously-- run it for a few hours / days and let the air collect in the res? any other methods? my pump seems to be a lot more noisy when there's air bubbles ****ing it off..

That is generally how you go about bleeding the system. It has taken my watercooling loop a good 12 - 24hrs to bleed, so dont give up after only a few hours.

oh yea I gotta get some clamps too

I would suggest staying away from the plastic clamps that most places sell. I use them currently and they are quite a pain. When you are at the hardware store look for the metal clamps that tighten down with a flathead screwdriver (I forget what they are called).

My reply differs from what altec said very little-
I don't use barbs of any sort on either of my heatercores (Chevette and Chrysler something): 1/2" ID tube fits right over the stubs left on the core after I cut them to the length I like; about 1" from the heater core suits me.

It takes me about 5 minutes to bleed all the air bubbles from my system, but your mileage may vary. ;) I use an Air Trap which is very similar to a T-Line except they are about 1 1/2" diameter; I locate the traps at the highest point in the system and air is gone FAST.

dude you rule!! thanks so much!! I think that is the clearest answer I've ever gotten lol thanks again, will follow all that advice. hopefully by saturday I can report back with some nice low temps and decent overclocking, and silent machine to boot! :)

edit: just saw your post roger--thanks for the info! I'll try just sawing the barbs shorter and seeing how that works with some clamps too

man I went to 3 auto parts stores around here and none of them had chevette heater cores. I'll try s'more tomorrow. I even went to pepboys and they didn't have it!

Roger, i agree about the time in bleeding a system with an air trap, but with a res it will take a lot longer than 5min to bleed the system. ;) That is my reasoning behind 12-24hrs...didnt want him to get frustrated with the mini-bubbles that take so long to bleed out.

altec- I have used reservoirs very little as my experiments with them invariably produced a slight increase in temps.....

And I will admit that I frequently mention Air Traps even when it is not strictly a necessary part of the answer to the question at hand ;) They work SO well and so quickly that I am completely convinced that it is THE best way to fill and maintain water level in a water cooled pc. So I keep pushing them waiting for others to try one out ;)

man I went to 3 auto parts stores around here and none of them had chevette heater cores. I'll try s'more tomorrow. I even went to pepboys and they didn't have it!

Autozone is THE place for chevette cores. $16.99 each. My local one didn't have it, but they ordered it from their depot and it showed up 3 days later. The funny thing was their computer had it as 26.99 (about the price kragen and pep boys has it), but I printed out the website listing for that part and they gave it to me for 16.99. Good folks!

Thanks,
Mike

Back