• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Operating System Detected!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

What could it mean when your screen goes black and you see a line of text that says: "No operating system detected?"
Is my HD bad? It's WinXP.
BTW: It's sporadic... the comp was down on Wednesday, is back today, but did it again this afternoon.

Unfortunately, it normally means your HDD is about ready to bite the dust. It could also be caused by a loose or bad ribbon cable, loose HDD jumper(s), bad PCI controller card (if you have your HDD connected in this manner), faulty IDE controller, or even a loose molex connector at the HDD.

Last edited:
The hard drive may not be responding. Download the hard drive tools and make a boot disk, run the testts, find out the S/N and check warranty status.

Thanks you sirs. I just hope it's a cable or something silly like that. I'd hate to have to buy a new one and lose all my info on this.

I had and old SCSI system that worked the cable loose once
in a while....same thing: No OS detected.

Make sure your cables are good. IF that doesn't help, move
the drive to another system and see if you can read it there.

Good luck !!

You can check the name of the HD in under device manager to give you a clue which hd website to go to.

Back