• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External box idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cypher_138

I'm working on how to build the external box. There's 2 routes I can take here.
Option (A)- Consrtuct one of a clear plastic.
Option (B)- Chop an old case down, strip and paint it.
What I want to do is mount the radiator to the top of the box in question. I'll create a swoop that will isolate the intake SImilar to this crude rendering:
url]

I may put the shroud on the bottom and put another 120 on the top. The res will hook right into the pumps intake (on the side) and be expandable to multi returns when I find a NB block for this MB. I'm trying to avoid 90s but will use a 1/2" 90 street if need be to avoid kinkage. I'll also add another exhaust fan in the back and vent it at the top. So what do you think? It's still on the drawing board as you can see.

You don't really need two fans.

I just finished my external setup (pics coming soon) of lexan...I have a hole cut for the radiator, and the fan is on the opposite side of the box blowing out...ALL air that comes into the case has to enter through the radiator, and ALL air leaving has to leave through the fan.

The fan blows more air out than can come through the radiator.

THe duct will prevent cross flow. THe fan is going on the bottom though. I think I may need one (low RPM 92/120) to remove any heat the pump creates.
I can't wait to see your pics. Lexan is exactaly what I'm thinking of using.

Id assume just building one out of clear plastic would probably be easier and end up looking alot nicer than using an old PC case. Also after looking at the picture, it looks like you have the res attached to the pump outlet instead of the inlet which doesnt make much sense at all, unless I am just not understanding your picture.

Plastic it is than. My drawing is crappy it's just a refference. The res will go on the intake.

Here's a better diagram of what I'm thinking.
box.jpg.gif

I'll use a thinner lexan for the duct.

Back