• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change OS drive drive letter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoJoMoJo

After reinstalling my os my windows is now located on a drive named other than C: I would like to change the drive letter but says I cannot change system volume or boot volume.. Is there away to do this?

Yes.

Reinstall.

Sorry but that's the only way w/o changing all the config files and registry that point to your D: or other drive to the C: drive.

-Bobby

I've manually changed the driveletter... I suggest reinstalling. It's a complete PITA, and if you don't do it right, your system won't be usable anyway.

thanks I reinstalled the os. Thanks and thankfully you fellas answered me before I installed all the drivers and programs.

su root is a glutton for punishment. I wouldn't even try to change all the drive redirects :p

-Bobby

Bobby said:
su root is a glutton for punishment. I wouldn't even try to change all the drive redirects :p

-Bobby

The hard part is going into the registry and manually switching the drives in the hardware section of the registry. (It won't let you do it in the Disk Management).

After that, it's a find & replace "D:\" = "C:\" in the registry.
The problem is the fallout of programs not working, files not found, and the occasional program crash and bluescreen, randomly. You end up reinstalling in the end anyway.. ;) There is no way to track down every INI file or other config files that are mapped incorrectly.

lol this is what i had to go through when I upgraded my comp. I wanted my new maxtor drive to be the bootup drive and the IBM to by my storage. But my IBM was already C:\ so my maxtor became like F:\ or soemthin cause i had two other opticals. I just changed my IBM from C to G, and reformated my Maxtor. Then installed windows and since C was now free, it automatically grabbed the drive letter.

Back