• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Flash Help Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrm9270

Registered
Help!
Bad Flash occurred on MN31N MB. Anyone in the Huntsville, AL area have this board and willing to flash my chip for me?:(

Welcome to the forums! Sorry it has to be on such a bad note.

Do you get any display at all, or just a black screen?

I can get into BIOS, change settings and then save & exit. The system will then restart, go through POST, and then hang on a black screen with a white flashing cursor in the upper left corner. Any advice???

I think you have a drive problem, not a BIOS problem.
Clear CMOS, if you haven't already. Make sure that your drive shows correctly in the BIOS, and that the boot order is correct.

Still hanging up? Try booting to a bootable floppy. If that is successful, then you know that your motherboard is ok, and that you have a problem with your drive, or your OS.

Yes, if you had a bad bios flash then well....you wouldnt be able to do ANYTHING. So this is good news. Perhaps one of your drives is bad or a cable came unplugged. Check all that stuff.

I checked all cables, etc. When I tried to run to the bootable floppy, the drive would 'crunch' one time for about half a second and then I would be "hung". The strange thing is that the floppy access light would then be on the entire time even thought the floppy drive was not actually doing anything.

I would also try disconnecting the drive cables, other than the floppy, and set the boot order to boot from the A: (floppy) if it isn't already.

Well, too late now... MB RMA'd this morning. I didn't try to unhook the cables, but in BIOS I did disable all drives other than the floppy and set it first in the boot sequence. The BIOS did show the new version (MN1009?), which I thought was strange. I guess I'll just wait until the new MB gets here and try it again. Check back about Wed / Thurs. I might be pulling my hair out by then if I still get a no go. One more thing I should add to the puzzle. After I flashed the BIOS and got back into the BIOS, I decided to see if my new XP1700+ would run at 166 instead of 133.... So if the new MB experiences the same problems I can throw an old 900 T'bird in and rule that out.

Thanks!

Problem solved. New MB arrived this afternoon. Everything now seems fine.

Thanks

Back