• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000A-CU vs. SLK800-U w/TT Smartfan 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanidin

And the winner is?

I guess the + with the SLK is that you can upgrade the fan and if and when the fan does go out you can just slap a new one on there. It is louder though.

The Zalman is pretty quiet and performs good from what I can tell.

I was comparing them with this .

I plan on overclocking a 1700+ DLT3C 0310 to the maximum point of stability but quietness is a +. If anyone has any experiences with the Zalman please let me know. Opinions welcome, post away!

The Zalman

Last edited:
Since I posted this late last night I figured I would need to move it to the top. Seems like alot of new posts don't get responses when they are posted at night. Darn, and all my inspiration comes at night :p Oh well. Hopefully you guys can help me? I'm still looking for c/w on slk800u w/smartfan2. .33 is what the zalman got with a die simulator. Any suggestions yet?

I don't think you would see a huge difference with either choice so I think it's a toss up. I'd imagine you could get better temps from the SLK because of a wider range of fan choices. I think if you are looking to keep it quiet though, I'd bet you'd see comparable performance at equal noise levels.

What kind of temperatures do you get with the Zalman? Would you reconmend it then?

I would get the Zalman because the performance is so close and its vvveerrryy quiet. (if you decide quiet doesn't matter, get the SLK:D)

the slk is more expensive AND you have to get a fan. Or am I thinking of the 900u because I don't know how much the 800 is, I suppose not much behind the 900

slk800u is like 30, slk900u is about 37. slk800u+smartfan2 is about the same as the Zalman. I'm not too concerned with price atm... don't want to goto watercooling though. Just between the Zalman and the Thermalright.

The SLK weighs 500g without a fan. Socket A is reconmended 300g max? the Zalman is like 700g. How much of a problem will this present in moving the computer?

Last edited:
simply put Zalman= good performance very quiet
SLK=great performance, but to get the great performance you need a fan that sounds like a vacuum cleaner:D

Thanks. So you think the zalman will work fine for OC'ing ?

I dunno, if it says that it shouldn't have that much weight on the mobo, then I wouldn't, but if you want to risk it, then I would move it laying down.

if your going to do alot of moving i would get the slk, the cnps7000 is like 300 something grams more. and the cnps doesn't fit on all motherboards, you might want to check thier site and email them.

No problems fitting it, I've done the measurements and according to their site as long as my PSU doesn't interfere with it, I'm fine(which it doesn't). Hmmm... 1/2 lb difference(approximately, no math involved). Decisions decisions. I won't want super loud and I want good cooling. My machine is pretty quiet as it is. But I don't want to break my mobo/cpu because of it. Has anyone damaged mobo/cpu or heard of anyone doing it because of an overweight HSF?

Repeat: Has anyone damaged mobo/cpu or heard of anyone doing it because of an overweight HSF. I don't plan on moving it too often.

And if anyone knows which will perform better, slk800+smartfan2 or Zalman cooler, let me know.

The Zalman

Repeat: Has anyone damaged mobo/cpu or heard of anyone doing it because of an overweight HSF. I don't plan on moving it too often.

I have not, people have. Manufacturers warn about it. It would happen when moving

And if anyone knows which will perform better, slk800+smartfan2 or Zalman cooler, let me know.

close. slk coolers test well even with slower fans. Zalmans look cool and perform well (no choice of fans). I would go with the slk900(A) which has more top end performance and choice of fans.
My mobo has no holes so I would need the new A model (released two days after I chose another sink).

PS (ot) I have had a Zalman 6000cu but since my 2500 came with a massive copper/alluminum hsf I switched to that temporarily (what I have coming in the mail should be better yet).

I think you still need holes in you mobo with the A model as thats the reason alot of mobos are incompatible according to Zalmans website.

Hmmm...You have a link to Zalman's info page on the 7000A?

Oh! Okay! I wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between this and an SLK-800U/900U for an AthlonXP. :)

Edit:
The compatibility page is kind of confusing, but I don't get why they say that the NF7 has no holes :confused: From what I've seen it does have mounting holes around the socket.

Last edited:
Back