• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quiet HS for my new cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhodson

Registered
im going to get a new 1800xp to put in my asus a7v133
the volcano 7 has been recomended to me in the past as a hs but i hear it is too loud
any suggestions for a quiet HS?

D

I got the slk-800-u heatsink and the fan I chose has a 32cfm air flow, 2400rpm with only a noise level of 25db, plus it has blue leds. So 25db is pretty quiet. Most heatsinks are still only 33db and higher.

My Barton 2500+ oced at 185*11.5 at 2130mhz I only get 51c to 53c on full load. It depends on how long the computer has been on because of my room temp and when my 5 hds begin to heat up. I also don't have a top vent or side intake, which would help. But I use the same fan for my two intake and exhaust fans.

The fan
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-999-051&DEPA=1

The 800-u
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=800-u

It's a good quiet heatsink with a decent fan and a extreme cooler with a stronger noisier fan.

check out the cooljag in my sig its really quiet, its a fairly good cooler, and its cheap. You can find it at newegg

Personally I think if you are looking for quiet you need to go with something with an 80mm fan. There are plenty of heatsinks to chose from depending on your cooling needs and your budget but then just pick the quietest 80mm fan to mount on it and you are set. If you get a good HS you can use a case fan that doesn't push much air to keep things cool.

Actually if you want a quiet HS with good performance I'd reconmend you take a look at the Zalman CNPS 7000A . I don't own one but plan on ordering one. It has a 92mm fan integrated and costs less than an SLK800U and SmartfanII. This comparison of heatsinks is a good place to look for good heatsinks. The 7000A rates towards the top and is the quietest there.

i've been checking that zalman out, along w/ a couple of other hs/f of that sort, and you have to be carefull, it won't fit on all motherboards, they won't fit my asus a7n8x deluxe v2.0, or alot of other boards

Why won't it fit on your a7n8x? From my measurements it should fit just fine. According to their compatibility chart the A7N8X Deluxe will work as long as the PSU is not in the way. Plus I opened up my case and made the other measurements. Feel free to fill me in.

Crud, when I was exploring what to get for my new system. I came to the conclusion that the 7000a would be best for a P4 setup. But when I went an Athlon XP setup I didn't realize that it worked with Socket A. Damn, I would have gotten it, DOH!!!

Nanidin said:
Why won't it fit on your a7n8x? From my measurements it should fit just fine. According to their compatibility chart the A7N8X Deluxe will work as long as the PSU is not in the way. Plus I opened up my case and made the other measurements. Feel free to fill me in.

i'm pretty sure it's because of the capacitors next to the cpu, but i'll tell ya what, i'll spend the money and fill you all in

Molester said:

i'm pretty sure it's because of the capacitors next to the cpu, but i'll tell ya what, i'll spend the money and fill you all in

Let us know how it performs. I'm looking forward to it if it is works as good as it did on the p4.

Back