• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "HOT" 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

I just got my new one in today and it's running [email protected] and it's reporting 49C on die. Is this accurate for what most people are getting with there 1700s? The setup is a swiftech mcw372, AS3, 1/2 clearflex 60, black ice extreme, and sunon 120MM@12V. The radiator and block are cool to the touch but I keep getting 49-50C load temps. The pump is a maxi-jet 1200 as well. I'm about ready to say it's the mobo with a bad sense of temperature. What do you all think?

Do you have any kind of external temp sensor?
DigiDoc, Compunurse or any of the newer ones?

Because you can monitor water temp for a while to help check cpu temp if you do. It is not really an accurate measurement to see if the onboard sensors are right, but- if the mobo reports 50c for cpu, ambient is 30c and water temp is 32c- the sensor is probably wrong.
Or in the above scenario, water temp of 45c would indicate that the sensor may be right....and that you may have a severe radiator problem!

Water temp should be a few degrees above ambient temp- exactly how many depends on load and how good your radiator is.

Chock it up to bad reading on the mobo I replaced it with a gigabyte mobo because the GF4 TI4200 wasn't happy and would display garbage one the screen. This new board is reporting 35C at full load runnng F@H for an hour on air :D . This temp may be a bit off too but at least I feel btter :D .

what is "die" and "ambient"? ive read about it but dont understand what it means

Die is the core of the processor. The AMD processors have an internal "on die" temp sensor that is alot more accurate than the one that is a probe looking thing in the zif socket itself that touches the back of the processor to get it's temperature reading. Ambient is the temperature of the room you're in.

It could be voltage regulators and or mosfets heating up the board and or sensors on the board if you dont have enough airflow around the cpu socket. It would be worth it to check out how hot your voltage regulator and other surface mount components are running at.

Back