• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does NB need to be cooled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImportPsycho

I had Asus A7N8x, which has just heat sink on the NB.
how hot does NB get?
I touched the heatsink many time but it never got hot.
not even warm.
so why do we need NB cooling?
It seems to me that small heatsink is enough, but I see people going nuts, adding huge cpu coolers to NB.

btw, which one is south bridge?
is that the another nvidia chip down below?

the northbridge only gets hot when you're runnign extreme fsbs.

the SB is the one right blow the agp wiht nvida on it =d they will both need cooling if you wanna reach high fsbs and still want to be stable ;d and by high i mean past 200 =d

Yea, CherryP00t is correct. The NB isn't going to get hot until it has to work at high fsbs conrtoling the processor, ram, agp, and pci. When All of these are overclocked, the NB has to work faster, thus creating more heat. If you are running stock, or close to stock speeds, then you shouldn't need more than the stock NB heatsink.

NB gets hot at lower speeds also. Just because the stock heatsink doesn't get hot, doesn't mean the chip under it isn't. Genereally the stock NB heatsink makes very poor contact with the NB chip.
Check out this site . Notice the NB heatsink is only around 40c, but the temp of the board behind the chip is 54.6c.

if youre n bridge isnt getting hot then maybe its not conducting heat away properly ...........you might want to take it off and reaply with some as3

i could not get past 200 fsb until i did this .....that was on a rev 1.04 i then hit 208 stable :D

edit the south bridge is the one near the pci slots / agp slot

kct2 said:
NB gets hot at lower speeds also. Just because the stock heatsink doesn't get hot, doesn't mean the chip under it isn't. Genereally the stock NB heatsink makes very poor contact with the NB chip.
Check out this site . Notice the NB heatsink is only around 40c, but the temp of the board behind the chip is 54.6c.

I love that site, it's really interesting to see what is generating all the heat.

I agree with kct2 that sometimes the stock coolers on the northbridge just aren't up to par; either a bad HSF to begin with, and/or just terrible contact with the chip. I know the NB on my 8rda+ is fairly concave, and the stock TIM was so overused it probably just helped to insulate it. As soon as I started getting to 200+ FSB it demanded a better cooling solution.

I odn't know but I think if the NB isn't getting hot, then there is a chance that there isn't enough contact going on. I took off the heat sink for my NB and found....

....nothing. I couldn't believe it. Now I realize that if the factory don't care, I really don't have to either but, I overclock. I put Artic Silver III on it. The Heat sink gets warmer now as it carries a larger amount of heat away.

Under normal conditions, you don't need to do any extra cooling, but it doesn't hurt.

don256us said:
I odn't know but I think if the NB isn't getting hot, then there is a chance that there isn't enough contact going on. I took off the heat sink for my NB and found....

....nothing. I couldn't believe it. Now I realize that if the factory don't care, I really don't have to either but, I overclock. I put Artic Silver III on it. The Heat sink gets warmer now as it carries a larger amount of heat away.

Under normal conditions, you don't need to do any extra cooling, but it doesn't hurt.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Back