• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As far as I know DDR 400 is the best you can get without dealing with NASA so you don't really have to worry about that. But to answer your question, no, you cannot use any RAM that is above DDR 400.

they make pc3500, pc3700, i dont know if its truly ddr433 and ddr466 but ive had my corsair ddr433 or pc3500 to 450mhz. ALLEN

You can use any memory above ddr-400 without a problem. You can achieve of course better timings and if you want to overclock then you can go up better with a higher rated memory.There will be problem if you are going to use memory rated lower than ddr-400. And keep in mind that there are many kinds of memory, other "good" and other "bad" meaning some runs at their specs and others can run higher or lower.

what would good memory be, by the company that makes it or does it vary from stick to stick?

alpha_gamer said:
As far as I know DDR 400 is the best you can get without dealing with NASA so you don't really have to worry about that. But to answer your question, no, you cannot use any RAM that is above DDR 400.

Ehh? There is plenty of options for memory that is over ddr400 and you can safely use any of it. I would try and figure what speed you might end up at though and don't speed more than you actually need to.

i would recommend anything from the twinmos range. they are a good deal cheaper than corsair even though they use the same chips.

almost all twinmos pc3200 i've seen has done at least 225mhz on an nfoce2 board. Even my twinmos with it's plainly average m-tec modules on-board does 227 at stock timings.

Ciffer said:
what would good memory be, by the company that makes it or does it vary from stick to stick?

Well it depends as you say from many factors.The company, the sticks (many identical sticks can have different perfomance, so it's also and a kind of pick), and finally the sticks again (some sticks made by the same manufacturer and are the same kind, may have diferrent chips that they also perform different).

Back