• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buffalo or twinmos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CVW

Registered
im looking for a stable and overclockable ram and i hear great thigns about buffalo and twinmos (mushkin is over my price) and was wondering which is a better pc 3200 ram. thanks

never slack on ram, if you cant afford it right now save money and get the best, you wont be sorry you bought good ram, you will be if you buy cheap ram and it dont overclock at all. ALLEN

Pretty much all TwinMOS PC3200 now is based on the newer Winbond -CH5 chips or TwinMOS' privately labeled chips. If you can find some (and there are only two places to get it from) with the -BH5 chips, jump on it.

Buffalo Technology is one of the last manufacturers still with -BH5 chips, I believe (Mushkin seems to have the rest). Though, I'm sure they're ready to switch over to the cheaper -CH5 chips now.

Either manufacturer is fine so long as you can find the -BH5 variety. If you can't, -CH5 isn't necessarily bad, it's just not as good as the -BH5.

Phalanx28

Or you could just wait and see if some BH-4's come out anytime soon. They are in "engineering Samples".

Or, if you know someone in Japan, you can have them send you some ADATA PC4000. :)

I'm think they're using privately labeled -BH4s. Their ES PC4000 modules had them on there.

Phalanx28

Buffalo's and Twinmos are both good........just get heat spreaders for it if ur gonna get those rams

Retain heat? LOL

When I had the Twinmos PC3200 CH-5 modules, they weren't even warm at 2.75v. My corsairs XMS PC3200 are pretty warm at 2.75v with heat spreaders (retainers).

CVW - What system are you going to use this memory on? That'll give us a better idea what to recommend.

-Bobby

Buffalo is now mostly CH5, but there are still bh5 modules out there. If you get the pc3200 buffalo, you will be getting winbond.

I would get the TwinMOS cause i think they use better pcb and have better quality control. Btw.. i never use heatspreaders on my Buffallo at 3.2v and they hardly got warm. I have had my TwinMOS CH-5 in dual channel up to around 245 3-3-2.5 and around 235 3-2-2 at only 3v.. alot better than my buffalo BH-5 at single channel.

Back