• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One 1 GB stick of PC3200 or two sticks of 512MB Dual Channel for my AMDXP rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PreservedSwine

I've heard and read that Dual Channel is mostly hype for AMD XP users, and it doesn't show much more that a 2% +- perfrormance increase. Is this true?

My question, regardless of price, would I be better off getting (1) 1GB stick of PC3200, or (2) 512 MB sticks running Dual Channel?

Epox8Krda+
XP1700 @ 2220 (12x185, 1.8v, air)
512MB Kingston PC2700
R9500--->R9700
WinXP

Yes, it's true that DCDDR does not exhibit the same performance gains as it does on a similarly configured P4 system. Running DCDDR may hurt your FSB overclock however, the marginal gains of DCDDR may compensate.

~THT

Well, i have to say that you better go for 2 x 512 sticks because 1st) the 1gb stick as far as i know is very expensive even in comparison with 2 x 512 price, 2nd) you should take advantage of the dual channel support even it does not give you much over the single channel and 3rd) if sometime you choose to build a P4 system, you'll she a tremendous diference in memory bandwidth beetween single and dual channel mode.

The cost isn't that much of a detterent...I'm thinking, in the future if I should ever go Intel, by then, having (2) sticks of (1) GB RAM won't be unusual, so in effect I'll already have one, and will just need to purchase one more to run them Dual Channel.

I'm more curious about the lower latency of the single 1 GB stick, compared to the (2) 512 MB sticks.

well for one if you look at how fast the speeds on RAM go up since the last two years. My bet is that when you build a new system in say.. 2 years from now, that it'll be decent ram, but not good, or even the best. So my advice buy 2 sticks, and when you get to building your new system a while down the road, see what's the hype then!

Thanks for the replies, but that wouldn't be for my quick rig, probably the 2nd or 3rd machine ;)

But currently, I'm still anxious to know if a single 1GB stick will outperform two 512 sticks running DUAL CHANNEL in my XP set-up. I've heard differing opinions (higher latency w/ 2 sticks) that have certainly made me think twice. I've been unable to find aby benches comparing this scenario....

What do you think???

Back