• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacment for Vantec Tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evnas

Alright...its about time i replaced this sucker, lol. Awesome cooling, but it drowns out my 6 Sunon case fans, and is litteraly as loud as a vacume, heh.

Anybody have any good replacment 80mm fans i could buy? It doesnt have to be dead quiet, but not something that can be heard clearly over the phone, and cause people to ask "Are you vacuming?"

i really like the Vantec Stealths, i just ordered one and it's really stronger than I expected and near silent, i can only hear it when i put my ear an inch away, feeling the pressure of the air with my hand it is surprisingly strong, they seem to be high quality with dual ball bearings

The TT SmartFan2s are nice. They can push high CFMs if you don't mind noise (still quieter than a tornado, though) or they can be quiet. I love mine.

just keep the tornado and get a reo bro, down to 7v its not dead silent but it performs well and you can sleep with it. no doubt it will perform better than any other at this same noise ratio

PhobMX said:
just keep the tornado and get a reo bro, down to 7v its not dead silent but it performs well and you can sleep with it. no doubt it will perform better than any other at this same noise ratio

Well the problem with that, is ive got no room in my case for a rheo unless i take out my Live! Drive. Unless of course there are ones that fit in the extra floppy slot, hehe

the TT Smart Fan 2 is what I use to use before I didn't watercooling. Its not loud at all and you can change the speed of how fast you want the fan to go. That might be a good choose for you.

Evnas said:

Well the problem with that, is ive got no room in my case for a rheo unless i take out my Live! Drive. Unless of course there are ones that fit in the extra floppy slot, hehe

vantec makes a new nexus that fits in floppies....:)

Ok, well i think i may go with the SmartFan II...but i have a problem here. I want to also get a new PSU (got a generic **** PSU in here now that im afraid is going soon), ahd have only a total of $75 (as in it can be absolutly no more then $75, inc shipping) to spend on both.

Theres a dilema for you guys to solve :)

Well, you can get a 400W Fortron for $59 and a TTSF2 for $10 at Directron. I don't know about shipping, but you might be under $75 there. Doubt you'll be too far over, so you can probably dig the 1-2 dollars up. Shipped to me, that would be $76.60, so I'm sure you can come up with the extra $1.70.

TheMatrixHasYou said:
Well, you can get a 400W Fortron for $59 and a TTSF2 for $10 at Directron. I don't know about shipping, but you might be under $75 there. Doubt you'll be too far over, so you can probably dig the 1-2 dollars up. Shipped to me, that would be $76.60, so I'm sure you can come up with the extra $1.70.

Thanks for the info...looks like i'll be ordering from then tomorrow :)

I havent even bought the new toys yet and im already excited :p lol

btw...anybody have any reviews, or experiance about Fortron PSUs? I heard they were good...but would like some backup on that :)

Having just looked around on Google, i came across a review by Tom's. Rated at 400w, actually measured at 453w...very nice :)

And this quote from Tom definatly seals the deal...

The Fortron Source FSP400-60PFN is also worth a mention. The device offers excellent output scores and excellent features. What's more, this power supply scored the best efficiency rating in the test with 78%.

Thanks again guys!

*edit* Oh, and i have a question regading the temp sensor on the TTSF2...where would i put it? (i would rather just use that, then manually adjust it). Is it just something you plug into the mobo and it read the temps from the mobo diode, or does it have an actual diode to which you place near/under the CPU for more accurate temps?

donno if you already ordered it, but why not just buy a fan controller so you can turn the tornado down. it would still push massive cfm's but you could turn it down to where its tolerable and still push alot of air.

hooah said:
donno if you already ordered it, but why not just buy a fan controller so you can turn the tornado down. it would still push massive cfm's but you could turn it down to where its tolerable and still push alot of air.

If someone can recomend one that will still be able to run me under or at my $75 spending limit (more like under $15 actually, because of the PSU im already gonna buy)

How about the Fortron 350w (maxed at 454w) for $37 shipped and a vantec 3.5" fan controller for $28.99 shipped, both from Newegg.com. $65.99 so you can go have a meal at MickeyD's :p

-Bobby

Back