• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X @ 2.2 GHz (11x200): What more can I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caschbre

I was able to get my system stable with the settings listed in my signature. I have the memory sync'd and the AGP locked at 66 MHz. I've tried increasing the FSB past 200 but I can't seem to keep it stable. I've increased the voltage up to 1.85v in those attempts. Right now I think 1.75v is as high as I can take it w/o additional cooling methods.

Does anyone else have suggestions on how to push this little puppy further? I can add more cooling to get the voltage up, but like I said when I was at 205x11 I wasn't too stable.

Since I'm at 2.2 GHz (11x200), is it worth trying (10x220) or (10.5x210)???

Since you are possibly at the limit of your memory, change the cpu/ram ratio back to the default "by SPD" which will keep it running at ddr400 while you play with the fsb between the northbridge and cpu.

This will let you find the top speed for your cpu and chipset without worrying about the memory.

Also, what are your temperatures and voltages at load at your highest stable speed?

Graphic67 said:
Since you are possibly at the limit of your memory, change the cpu/ram ratio back to the default "by SPD" which will keep it running at ddr400 while you play with the fsb between the northbridge and cpu.

This will let you find the top speed for your cpu and chipset without worrying about the memory.

Also, what are your temperatures and voltages at load at your highest stable speed?

I'll change the memory back to SPD... I had read in several places that it was better to keep it sync'd. Is this only the case when the memory is faster than the cpu/mobo? I'll mess with this tonight and post the results.

As for temps... right now I'm at 200x11 with voltage at 1.75v. Er, it could just be 1.70v. I can't remember off hand and I'm not at my machine... but it's not more than 1.75v. I ran Prime95 overnight and it hit 57C. With no load it's under 50C... in the low 40s. That's my CPU temp... the mobo temp has been around 30C under load.

sdp keeps youre memory the same as youre fsb ...........

youre temps are rather high ....is that on asus probe ?

youre northbrige might be the cause i always take mine off and reaply as3 to it .........all though the rev 2.0 is suposed to be better ....

alter youre timmings memory slacken them.......or even tighten them sometimes the wierd will help!

put a fan over the northbridge that might help might !

Synched is best, but if given the choice of having a slower core clock and synched memory or a faster core clock and slightly out of synch memory, go with the higher core clock. The memory may not be holding you back, but this will take it out of the equation so you can find where your system's limits are truly to be found. Also, it is reasonable to expect the Barton's larger cache to compensate somewhat for out-of-synch memory.

Graphic67 said:
Synched is best, but if given the choice of having a slower core clock and synched memory or a faster core clock and slightly out of synch memory, go with the higher core clock. The memory may not be holding you back, but this will take it out of the equation so you can find where your system's limits are truly to be found. Also, it is reasonable to expect the Barton's larger cache to compensate somewhat for out-of-synch memory.

yip

its hit and miss try everything ....then look to the northbridge:D

don't the multipliers on the 2500 go up to 12.5, if you're at 200, that's awesome, see if you can't get 12x200, that'll make it a 2.4GHz processor, although your temps are up there, i also thought that 1.800 is the highest vcore setting as well?

Molester said:
don't the multipliers on the 2500 go up to 12.5, if you're at 200, that's awesome, see if you can't get 12x200, that'll make it a 2.4GHz processor, although your temps are up there, i also thought that 1.800 is the highest vcore setting as well?

Yeah, the multipliers go up to 12.5. I had tried to get 200x11.5 but that wasn't working even with a 1.85v setting. It appears I can raise the voltage above 1.8.

spiritedandy said:
sdp keeps youre memory the same as youre fsb ...........

If you look at page 56 of the manual for the A7N8X Deluxe, you will see the range of memory frequency options. The default is "By SPD" which the manual states "permits autodetection". I should note that SPD stands for 'Serial Presence Detect' and when in this mode a motherboard reads the SPD data from the memory module and sets the speed AND timings according to the manufacturer's specified ratings.

The setting "Sync" is what keeps your memory the same as your fsb.

spiritedandy said:
Take out one stick of RAM!!

What exactly does taking out one stick do? How does removing the DDR aspect make a difference?

ddr is slower than one stick when going with high fsb ........however some manage it others find one stick better.....

just try it it does not take much !!!!!

also when you try the one stick try it in different slots all three there is a difference !

even if this does not work you will have to try new things ......so try away its the only way you will get the best results .........write everything down.....and take note ......

ps strange things happen with everyone............ its not just set everything at the same settings and everything is ok ......experiment even tho it makes no sence :) :)

pps i had two sticks and had to lower my overclock:p

Back