• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SIde case fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squirtle632

Just wondering that if I mount a 92mm / 65cfm fan in the side of my case directly in front of the stock Intel CPU fan ( about 6-7" away ), will the turbalance from the 92mm fan interfere with the cpu fan???
Should I maybe install the fan down about 2-3" from the cpu fan instead of in front of it?
Once I cut this case I am pretty well screwed so I want to do it right the first time.

From what I understand this usually helps cpu cooling, the new fan blows cooler air directly on the cpu fan keeping the cpu cooler. I don't see how it could mess with it. If you do install it a little lower than the cpu fan it would also help the nb cooling depending on your board. I would do that, either way it will help airflow in the case.

The 92mm fan should improve your temps because it will feed cool air to your HSF. As long as they are both flowing the same way (at the CPU) then there shouldn't really be any problems with turbulence.

He wasn't saying the fans have to turn the same direction, he is saying the flow needs to go the same direction. You don't want the heatsink fan flowing down and a fan mounted on the side of the case blowing out pulling the cold air AWAY from the heatsink fan, you want them both blowing in the same direction.

Best thing to do is make a mockup side panel made of cardboard and test it out. I cut a 120mm side panel fan for my old case and turns out, my CPU was cooler with the 120mm fan removed (this was a Sunon screamer) and the hole just working as a passive intake.

Whelp. I made the mock-up side panel and installed a Thermotake 80mm fan. Temps went down by 4°F on the CPU and about 3°F on the MB.
Now I have to decide if the 3-4° drop is worth the $20 in tool ( hole saw) to do it.

Trying to get my computer to stay as close to room temp as possible.
Closest I get is about 10°F on the cpu @ idle and 7°F on the MB.
The CPU and MB really ramp up on load though. Sometimes as much as 35°F above ambient temp.
Call me paranoid but I like my computer cold :)

are you overclocking that chip?...because if you aren't overclocking....there is no need to achieve real low temps...i mean they are beneficial...but spending the money for a few degrees when u aren't turning that degrees into mhz doesn't make a lot of sense...

It will feed it cold air. I have 2x80mm and 1x92mm fans on my side blowing on vid card/NB/cpu/mosfets. I may add another 80 blowing on memory if i do the vdimm on my nf7.

Back