• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And the Winner is........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats awesome. whats so special about those other 2 blocks to beat the WW?

I wish I could read that site;) ill have to bablefish it....

Jon

rmonster said:
Thanks for the cool link, I'd have never seen the site otherwise! You have some nice waterblocks to choose from in Germany, I really enjoyed browsing the galleries.

Ditto. A lot of purty blocks :) BTW are those the stock barbs on the cascade?

Soja said:

Ditto. A lot of purty blocks :) BTW are those the stock barbs on the cascade?

No. Those are 3/8" OD push-fit barbs that were fitted to the block for the review.

The Cascade comes with 1/2" OD brass barbs (10.5mm ID) brass barbs.

The review test-bed is of good quality, but only tests with an Eheim 1046, so it is a pretty low flow rate test. Both the Cascade and White Water, being impingement based designs, will benefit from higher flow rates such as that provided by an 1048 or 1250 pump.

It would have been good to see the review encompass a broader range of flow rates, however it does offer a good comparison between the blocks tested and the results fall pretty much in line with what I personally would have expected given the testing conditions.

The Atotech MC-1 block is a true micro-channel block (~1/512" channels) and repesents very close to the pinnacle of what a true micro-channel block has to offer, which includes exceptional low flow rate performance. It was, in my mind, the block to beat.

Many thanks for the review COOLER-ENGINEER, even though I didn't even know it was happening....

Cathar I hope you don't mind me quoting you from the OCAU thread where you said:

"and also shows that the DTek White Water is indeed a performance copy of the original White Water that I was producing."

This has been much talked about here lately and I am glad that there IS confirmation that the D-Tek block and your original are indeed identical in performance.

Interesting that the ww is under a couple...Oh wait its the best right? I rest my point on all that I have said that you people have bashed me on multiple times. It may have been the best but is not now. Nice job on making number one still though Cathar.

Also they did buy the rights to use it, I would hope it is equal to what it was when they bought them. Otherwise lawyers would have to come into it these days.

Does anyone have any pics of the insides of the MC1? That block sounds really interesting!

Jon

Last edited:
wannaoc said:
Interesting that the ww is under a couple...Oh wait its the best right? I rest my point on all that I have said that you people have bashed me on multiple times. It may have been the best but is not now. Nice job on making number one still though Cathar.

Also they did buy the rights to use it, I would hope it is equal to what it was when they bought them. Otherwise lawyers would have to come into it these days.

Actually the MC-1 was released at about the same time as the White Water. It would've been interesting to see the tests done with a higher pumping pressure to see if that made a difference. An Eheim 1046 is getting somewhat close to the "performance knee" of the White Water and the Cascade. While there isn't a terrible amount to gain when getting above the flow rates that an Eheim 1046 provides (~2C at best), the ordering may change somewhat as some of the differences were very minor (~0.1C difference between #3 and #4 [White Water]). As I stated before, the impingement style designs of the White Water and Cascade will continue to show decent improvements with the larger pumps that are favored in the USA.

To my knowledge, neither the MC-1 or the block that came in third in that test were available nor even advertised outside of Germany. One could hardly blame people for not being aware of blocks that practically don't exist outside of Germany.

The MC-1 is a set of stacked copper plates that are brazed together. The plates have chemically etched micro-channels in them that typically measure around 0.5mm wide by 0.2mm deep, with around 0.15mm wide fins between the channels. I'm not sure on the exact number, but around 10 of these plates are brazed together to form a block which is then encased in an anodised aluminium shell. Due to the very small size of the channels, the block does require extra special care with respect to preventing blockages, but its low-flow performance is exceptional and well suited to the smaller pump/tubing systems that are popular in Europe. Like I said above, it respresents very close to the pinnacle of what a micro-channelled design can offer.

I have a .pdf presentation on the MC1 around somewhere on my system. I'll see if I can dig it up. It is a very interestingly engineered design and it's construction falls well outside the ability of most DIYers.

[Edit: Found the MC-1 .pdf. You can grab it here: http://www.atotech.com/html/Microstructure_Liquid_Cooler.pdf ]

Here is the MC1 µ-channels without the top (huge surface above the die) :

ato.jpg

And it's the ultimate flowrate killer :D , LRWW would be better if the testbed has got a EHEIM 1048 or 1250. Agree with Cathar :)

Discussing with an engineer in their forum about the realization, he tells me about 1000 prototypes were made in order to find the best, changing materials, height of channels, length of channels, etc... A lot of $$$$$ during 2 years :p

Last edited:
Back