• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ionizing, De-ionized water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enyo

ive got some de-ionized water.. i havn't been able to find distlled every one seems to used de-ionized in cars now .. bah.. well .. its cheap.. so how do i ionize it?

i don't want it eating out the inside of my wc system

and isn't de-ionized water just distiled water thats been de-ionized?

From what I rememebr of College Chem you don't want ionized water. An ion is an atom or particle with a charge on it (positiy or negatice). Ions love to react with things because of this charge. They atract other atoms/particles with their charge. I'm pretty sure this would increase the corrosin in a water cooling setup. Deionized water should be better.

Hmmmm. That's possible. I would imagine that the person was thinking of negative ions as de-ionized. I'd wait for a few more replies. But if they are using it in cars it should be ok for copper and aluminum.

The water will spontaneously inionize on its own. Deionized water will not remain deionized for long.

Metal + deionized water = ionized water.

Originally posted by Bald Shadow
Deionized water is exactly that - water that has essentially been stripped of all of its ions. Water likes to be balanced in its natural state, however, and this means that it adds ions to itself to achieve that goal. Therefore, deionized water grabs ions from everything it touches that can be dissolved or absorbed. It is about a close as you can get to a Universal Solvent. In your case, it will extract metals from all of the brass fittings you have and all of the copper blocks as well... you get the idea.

Last edited:
read it.. but it doesn't help with the whole ion-izing of de-ionizined water

Deionized water is usually distilled water that is run over a bed of styrene plastic beads with various ion-exchange materials bonded to them. The ions in the water are adsorbed and bonded to the surface of the ion-exchange resin in the beds of beads; the resulting post-treatment water will have most of if not practically all of the ionic load removed. The net effect is very pure water.

One caveat here is the dissolved solids which are not ionic will likely remain in the solution, as well as dissolved organics. Also, the ion-exchange beds are relatively expensive and have a finite capacity for ionic exchange which decreases arithmetically during use.

Distilled water is the least expensive and most readily available coolant for (water) cooling your system.

An ion is an atom or particle with a charge on it (positiy or negatice). Ions love to react with things because of this charge. They atract other atoms/particles with their charge. I'm pretty sure this would increase the corrosin in a water cooling setup

De-ionized water is water in which the ions have been removed. (Ions are simply dissolved chemicals that have an electrical charge)

Deionized water should be better.

Distilled water is not as “aggressive” as deionized water, (DI water tends to be aggressive toward some metals) and it is essentially balanced. It still has very little ions in it, but it is less aggressive than deionized water and is much less corrosive to most metallic internal parts.

er.. ive already got a load of de-ionized.. and its all i can get localy..

so.. how do ionize it? and what im hearing is that even if i do get it ionized. it will suck ..

One caveat here is the dissolved solids which are not ionic will likely remain in the solution, as well as dissolved organics.

i think maybe u're getting this wrong... the amount of corrosion that deionized water does is really minimal... e.g. throw copper powder into an ocean of deionized water and the copper would most likely not lose any real mass.... the mettalic bonds are stronger in a pure or alloy metal than the corrosive powers of ions deffusing into a less saturated medium... etc.... (e.g. they'll pull ions out of a solution of stuff, not not off of metal pipes and so on)

meaning: throw a not so stable non-balanced compound like a nonmetalic weak bond (like sulphur nitrate with more sulphur than nitrate) into some deionized water, and maybe less than a million-th of a percent of the unbalanced part of the solution would defuse into the water and then it becomes saturated and is actually more stable than say distilled water... the extra amounts of the stuff would simply precipatate out... (or in other words it'd reach equalibrium and simply become not corrosive and wil actually reject more ions coming in) e.g. take a glass of iced/cold water and dump sugar into it... keep doing this... after a while you'll see that it will NOT absorb any more sugar and the addtional sugar WILL precipatate out...

meaning: throw lots of sugar into some water and after a while, you'll see POWERED SUGAR on the bottom of the water...

so really its pointless to worry about **** like that, cause the oxygen in the water is a lot more corrosive than a few ions (or the lack thereof) ...e.g. oxygen makes stuff RUST...

so quit worrying about stuff like that and go work out or something...

edit: alluminum does ionize water, as the alluminum oxide that forms over the outside of all pure alluminum will get broken down and alluminum ions will defuse into the water... ANY WATER, not just de-ionized water... the oxide layer of alluminum that forms as a pretective shell is UNSTABLE... and its TOXIC...

DON'T DRINK THAT WATER, ADD ANTIFREEZE,... and the antifreeze should prevent a rather large portion of the alluminum from defusing and for the small portion of it that does diffuse the antifreeze should be able to absorb and therefore not damage ur copper... e.g. the glycol would eat any "free" ions there are....

Last edited:
it really shouldn't matter since we're talking about amounts of stuff so small you'll need about a hundred gallons of that stuff running across miles of finned pipes and styrene balls saturated with various ion absorbers to even be able to tell with instruments what kinda ions you've got, so it really shouldn't matter at all...

purple ice is good, but basically you want SOME kind of a antibacteria thing kill-o-annhilate all things moving solution in there as thats THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you should be worrying about... then maybe some other buffering solution to eat up occational free ions unless u're running a current in the water which then them metals'll try and galvanize each other or something....

but anything'll do for that... e.g. antifreeze, anything with alcohal (like purple ice), you don't want salt, and i think you don't want any sugar or milk or anything and you should be fine...

Back