• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

werdman

Registered
i just got a new hd and im trying to install windows xp pro on it.... when i boot up my computer with the windows cd in it, it says "searching for boot record from cd-rom...not found" then "searching for boot record from floppy...not found" then "searching fpr bootrecord from ide-o... OK" then after that, it skips a line and says NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.. can anyone help me?

Let me be one of the first to say Welcome to the Forums![\b] I hope that you find our little space of inter-space entertaining, informative, and useful.... So let's get to the informative part.

Have you fdisk and formatted the new HD? If not, you need a friendly neighborhood boot disk with fdisk.exe on it. You can get one from here.

I use his DOS 6.22 boot disk just to get to a command prompt so I can fdisk it (which is creating a partition aka "C:") so the OS can install.

Also, take a read from Microsofts website on how to partition and install XP onto a new HD. You can read that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q313348

If you have anymore questions ask away.

Wedo

Whenever I got my new hard drive, all I did was put the cd in, boot to the cd. create an NTFS partition and then it installed windows. At what point is this occuring? have you booted into the cd?

i partitioned and formatted my new hard drive but when i goto try to install windows, the NTLDR problem keeps coming up

sounds like your CD drive may not be bootable, try creating an XP bootdisk and starting your computer off that. should work if thats the problem

you will need to go into the bios and set the boot drive to the one with your win xp cd in it. It will than boot from the cd you will also need a floppy with your raid drivers if you are going to use raid. The window setup program will than allow you to partition and formatt you new drive before installing windows. After the install be sure to set the boo drive back to you hard drive in bios.

cypher said:
you will need to go into the bios and set the boot drive to the one with your win xp cd in it. It will than boot from the cd you will also need a floppy with your raid drivers if you are going to use raid. The window setup program will than allow you to partition and formatt you new drive before installing windows. After the install be sure to set the boo drive back to you hard drive in bios.

setting the hard drive BACK to the first boot device is not always required but it will somewhat reduce the boot-up time for your computer.

i dont think its my cd-rom drive cuz i got software from maxtor to format my drive and it reads that, but when i goto install windows, it doesnt read the cd

i decided to install windows 98 ot 95 instead of windows xp, and then upgrading to it but windows 98/95 isnt working either... it says "type the name of the commander intepreter" then underneath that, it just says C:

I just have a few questions for you regarding your attempts at installing XP and 95/98...

1. Did you read through the MSKB article that Wedo linked you to?
2. Did you follow cypher's recommendation afa making sure your CD-ROM was set as the first boot device in the BIOS?
3. Did you happen to try what pik4chu suggested afa creating bootdisks from the XP CD?
4. When you tried to install Win95/98, what did you use as a bootdisk?

We know absolutely nothing about the system you're trying to install Windows on, other than you obviously have a Maxtor HDD. Can you give us some insight on your system specs, so we can get an idea of what you're working with? :)

Last edited:
werdman said:
i decided to install windows 98 ot 95 instead of windows xp, and then upgrading to it but windows 98/95 isnt working either... it says "type the name of the commander intepreter" then underneath that, it just says C:

that would mean you cant boot off the CD and/or the drive isnt working, might have got knocked and the cables disconnected.

check the bios to see if it even shows up

do what we have all said already see reducc99's reply

the maxtor drives come with a floppy AND a cd, the floppy is the command line version, the cd holds the gui version, which is not required. you boot off the floppy and load off the CD.. so your cd drive does not have to be bootable in this case.

my system
mobo - k75sa pro
cpu - amd athlon xp 2400
vid card - radeon 8500LE 128 mb
hd - 30 gig maxtor
RAM - 256 DDR corsair
ive read the article, made sure my cd drive was connected, made numerous bootdisks for xp, and when i tried to boot up 95/98, i used the floppy boot disk... i dunno, maybe my cd drive is dead or could it be the motherboard? ive tried 2 different cd drives and they dont work... when i tried to install 95, the farthest i got was to when it said A:\ and when i tried to find my cd rom drive via F: or E: it says must specific a certain drive or something... im so confused... i mean the LED flashes and everything =\

Last edited:
make sure you have the jumpers correct for all the drives on that IDE chain, make sure the cables are tight. And then check the bios to see if the drive is even being recognized. If it is and you are not able to make it your first boot device. You will have to get boot floppys. For Win 98 any computer rtunning it will make them. For XP you will need the program that is available from Microsoft and it will take six floppys.

Back