• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling things other than the CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zavnao

Hello again. This time I was wondering if its really worth cooling things other than the cpu. Should I buy a chipset cooler, Ram cooler, Video Card cooler, etc. I wanted to know which ones would affect my overall performance more. Thanks for the help.

Depending on what type of chipset you have, a cooler for that will come in handy. There are people that have had higher and more stable oc's with chipset coolers. Memory coolers are not really needed. Good air flow is enough to cool ddr memory. Video card cooler is recommended when you OC. Its not apples to peaches, but it will let you go beyond what a standard cooling unit can do.

Really depends on what ur doing with ur system, if your not overclocking and your system is stable dont waste any money on more cooling because ur not goin to notice any difference. But if your not happy with ur current overclock with ur Vid Card/Not as high as FSB as you hoped try adding a GPU cooler or NB cooler.

hi and welcome

thats a hard question so many things !!!

cpu defo cool it ! you need to

now do you want to overclock ? .....i think you do by the sound of you !.....

well cpu heat sink if its the standerd one replace it ! NOW!

the chip set ? north bridge if its a rev 2.0 motherboard its ok ish..........

if not ......and i say that loosely ..........take the northbridge off and replace with as3 ...instead of that pink stuff thats a start to good fsb!

get yore m/board sorted first ......then youre vidio card:) :)

Well yes I am trying to overclock. My friend is getting me the program to unlock my Video Card, and I've been experimenting with overclocking my CPU and doing the benchmark on Unreal Tournament 2003. I am in the process of picking out my new heatsink and fan for my CPU (yes yes, I already know that EVERYONE says Thermalright 900 is the BEST).

Also, if your hard drive isn't mounted in front of an intake, you should either move it in front of one or get a cheap HDD cooler. Heat is usually the biggest HDD killer, aside from bad handling or a Deathstar syndrome.

Things ppl wil cool are CPU/NB/SB/mosfets/GPU

but crazy overclockers will stick a dustblower in the computer and cool the whole thing down =d

if you're gonna be running high voltages to a CPU, the load will probably cause the mosfets on the board to get hot. i would get a HS from somewhere (stock AMD HS would work) and chop it up so it fits on the mosfetas nicely. then with some thermal epoxy mixed with AS3, glue it on there. (to the mosfetrs) and then get a nice cooler on the NB, and sometimes you can put the stock NB cooler onto the SB, wit little mod to it. especially if you're gonna do a VDD mod, you'll need NB cooling.
and also you can poke around on chips on the board feeling for hot ones. if they're hot, get a little HS on them. what i did to one board thats gone now. i need to get my asus running once again, then do it o it... or sell/trade it......

Right now my HD runs hotter than my heatsink to the touch, I'm just going to glue on a cpu fan until I can make a waterblock for it.

:)

beside cpu & video card, i used to waterchilled cooling on the NorthBridge.

I want to waterchill my system memory. There used to be few sites that carry waterblocks for the memory modules, but no avail. I want that block bad. please help.

Back