• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I remove and reinstall the NB heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjgood

Registered
I wanted to lap the stock NB heatsink and apply AS3, but when I look at my motherboard the heatsink is held on by two plastic pegs with springs to keep the hs on the chip. As far as I can tell, the only way to get the hs off is to break the plastic pegs. Is there some simple way to take them off that I just don't see? Also, if I do break the pegs, how do I secure the hs back on? Thanks for helping

on the back of the MB...you will see the pins sticking out...take a pair of pliers (becareful not to scratch the MB) and squeeze the end of pin on the back of the motherboard and slowly pull the pin out from the front...do this for both pins...then when you are done lapping and applying the AS3...just push the pins back through the MB holes to reattach it...

sometimes the TIM on the heatsink is like glue pretty hard to get off.. you can put your mobo in a freezer bag put it in the freezer for 30-60 mins and then take it out use a knife/razor and pry it off wiht ease

cherryp00t said:
sometimes the TIM on the heatsink is like glue pretty hard to get off.. you can put your mobo in a freezer bag put it in the freezer for 30-60 mins and then take it out use a knife/razor and pry it off wiht ease

Or, if they also use a thermal epoxy to hold the HS on you can use a hairdrier. I had to do this on my 8RDA+. Just point the hairdrier at the HS for about 20 seconds after you have released the spring clips. Then gently pry it off. Use the hairdrier for about 20 more sec. and then, using a razor blade scrape the adhesive off. Finally, lap it till you're are satisfied with the results.

I got it off fine, but I have one more question. Can I remove the white foam around the perimiter (so I can lap it) and put the heatsink back on with just AS3 on the core? Or does the foam serve a specific purpose?

the foam is usually some TIM with an adhesive property. It should be fine if you just use AS3 for the NB sinec it already has mounting clips

I found Nail Polish removed to work wonders when removing the epoxy / glue. Just rub in circles.

ok.. hair driers.. on a nb..

im planning on expoxying on a chipset block.. but .. well using a hair dryer sounds more then a little crazy.. won't that damage the chipset?

beacuse you'd have to get the expoy to temps above the chipsets normal temsp 20-40C meaning you'd be taking it to near 60c+ and isn't that a tad risky?

Back