• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright heatsink adhesive removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
Hello everyone

I just bought a few Thermalright SK-7's and they all have this PROTECTIVE plastic tape on the bottom of the heatsink that you have to remove before mounting...

Well , I did that and there is this STICKY tape residue all on the heatsink bottom that is a PAIN to get off, alcohol does not work!!!
I tried sandpaper but all I have is 1000 grit I use to wet sand and it gets clogged...

I'm going to try to find some 600 grit paper and try that but wanted to see what other people have tried with success...

I found...finger nail polish remover and some elbow grease takes all of it off...finger nail polish remover works better then rubbing alcohol and leave no residue either...and only take a minute or so to dry...

bk94si said:
Polish remover DOES leave a residue. Use straight acetone instead.

Interesting...I have never notice any residue after using finger nail polish remover...and I check for any/all residue signs...

Just seems silly to me to even have to break out some smelly solvent to clean off this residue in the first place...
I've purchased MANY thermalrights over the past year and even though I won't SWITCH, it just is a pain,
Guess thats what we have to go thru to get that Extra MHZ!!!

I suggest you lap the heatsink, that should clean off all the residue and give you a nice smooth surface as well.

belt sand that bi7ch... then machine lap it clean... use a dremal polisher if you don't have the belt sander....

Back