• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling a P4 3.0C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOv3r1De

Disabled
Hey guys I am running a P4 3.0C @ stock right now and I hate it...I have taken a liking to watercooling and am looking on buying a watercooling kit so I can cool my CPU, GPU, motherboard, hdd and the other major heat producers.

I am using a Thermaltake Xaser III chassis and i perfer a external watercooling system however I am not looking on doing any modding because i am inexperienced and don't have the time. Is there any watercooling kit available (external) that jsut connects through the PCI slots? I found 2 kits that I seem to like:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=Corsair+HydroCool
Can someone tell me if I need to do any modding to install that..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=KOOLANCE+EXOS
what other parts do i have to buy for that kit

if someone has a better kit inmind please tell me

i want to spend $275 max

Those are probably the 2 best external kits out right now. I like the EXOS because it just sits on your case, but I don't like the plastic topped block. The HydroCool is reported to get slightly better temps, but is rather bulky IMHO. The EXOS DOES NOT come with the W/B you have to purchase it seperately, & that gets the "Boo-of-the-Month" award. BOOOOO!!!! Good luck. :D

Do you have any ideas if I have to make any holes in my case or anything to use the hydro cool. i am thinking hydrocool if no modding needed however i know the exos does not need modding so if hydro cool does ill get exos

build it manualy.. and some one already has the name crash overide. :-|

nvm

im going for an external route too but ive got my pump internal .. just build it your self and stick it in a plastic tub outside your case.. simple as that.. the prebuild cases are inflexable and don't perform

If you are going for silence then yes by all means get one of the prebuilt kits. However if you are looking for performance, especially if you want to water cool everything you mentioned, BUILD YOUR OWN. You can build it externally and run the tubes through your PCI slots. If you decide to go forth with either of the two kits you are looking at, while they are pretty good, will give you lower performance than a high end air based heatsink.

Building you own gives you many many positive factors compared to kits. One you can choose a much better pump with a higher head which is very good for a multiple block, high restriction setup. Two you can choose a much larger radiator compared to the small, low performance ones of a kit. Three you learn much much more about the water cooling process. Four, you have an upgradability path where you can upgrade to a better pump and/or rad later on whereas you will have the same low performace pump and rad with the kit. Five you can probably spend about $100 less than either of those two kits.

These are just a few advantages to building you own setup. If you do go through with one of the kits I think you are going to end up very dissapointed with your temps but hey do whatever floats your boat.

CrashOv3r1De said:
Hey guys I am running a P4 3.0C @ stock right now and I hate it...I have taken a liking to watercooling and am looking on buying a watercooling kit so I can cool my CPU, GPU, motherboard, hdd and the other major heat producers.

I am using a Thermaltake Xaser III chassis and i perfer a external watercooling system however I am not looking on doing any modding because i am inexperienced and don't have the time. Is there any watercooling kit available (external) that jsut connects through the PCI slots? I found 2 kits that I seem to like:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=Corsair+HydroCool
Can someone tell me if I need to do any modding to install that..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=KOOLANCE+EXOS
what other parts do i have to buy for that kit

if someone has a better kit inmind please tell me

i want to spend $275 max

Take it from someone who just went through the route you are talking about and THEN DID IT RIGHT,... build your own external system... IT'S CHEAPER AND BETTER...

If you must buy a prebuilt, I prefer the Koolance Exos, for what it is, it does a nice decent job, even the stock block is rather decent and you can get it going for right at $250. No modds, your grandmother could install it.

However, you can build a very good external for less than $160 with much more power and upgradeability. The one I just built to replace the Exos has a Ehiem 1250 300gph pump, all 1/2" lines,and fair sized heater rad with 120mm fan. It will handle more than what you want to do while the prebuilts won't really handle trying to cool everything, they can barely do just the cpu.

I bought the prebuilt, then spent another $50 bucks replacing the stock fans with stronger ones, bought a new water block and ended up with over $300 in it. Same basic temps as it was stock. For less than $185 I then built a top notch system, saw temps drop and volume of water moved and cooled at least triple. Take your choice...

build it urself inside for lanning ;) if not get the exos kuz the corsair thingy sux im starting to hate them

How can you say that....

Pixel said:
build it urself inside for lanning ;) if not get the exos kuz the corsair thingy sux im starting to hate them

I just read a message from a fellow who just got a Hydro 200 and is claiming 21C idle and 27C loaded.... how can you say they sux.....(G)

21C an d 27C loaded wow that is very low...The cpu is cooler..

Just intrested if i build it myself how would it compare to the Hydro 200 temps of 21C idle and 27C loaded....

Can everyone who is using water cooling tell me what their using and their temps.

Im running a P4 3.0C @ 3.5ghz forgot to mention the oc before...temps are 42C idle 53C full load however i full load for about 1hr a day since i dont have extreme cooling yet

CrashOv3r1De said:
21C an d 27C loaded wow that is very low...The cpu is cooler..

Just intrested if i build it myself how would it compare to the Hydro 200 temps of 21C idle and 27C loaded....

Can everyone who is using water cooling tell me what their using and their temps.

Im running a P4 3.0C @ 3.5ghz forgot to mention the oc before...temps are 42C idle 53C full load however i full load for about 1hr a day since i dont have extreme cooling yet

Well, right off, forget the 21 and 27c temps talked about, those are pure smoke.... either the guys temp probes are way the heck off or he is just blowing smoke up......you know where. You don't get those temps with just plain water in a normal room...don't happen...

You can however, expect temps on plain water in a normal room of say 30c-31c idle and probably 34c-38C loaded. 'Those are reasonable temps for plain water and normal rooms. As I sit here in my room at 78F typing this while at the same time running a folding packet my temps are showing 30C. The game that I run the most and used to give me from 47c to 52c on air now never goes over 34C.

Building your own is fun and you learn a lot. My system that I just built cost me right at $180 using parts from Danger Den. If you went with a smaller pump, mine is 300 gallons per hour, and if you bought your own rad from a auto parts you could probably put together the same basic setup for about $130-140... then you would have a good system that is upgradeable...

All you do is take the liquid that comes from the cooling block, run it through a pump and shove it through a heater core with a fan to suck air through the core and then run it through the cooling blocks back to the pump... how much easier can it be.... You don't have to have a fancy case to hold the stuff, mine is in a plain brown cardboard box at the moment. Some day I may actually move it to something nice looking like a Segrams 7 case...or maye a BudWiser 48 pack...

I also run a P4 3.0 @3.52ghz so you would probably be getting close to the same results that I do. Go for it, you will like it....

Can you give me a link to a site where I can get all of this newegg, heatsinkfactory, crazypc dont have any of the good rads and pumps all they have is kits and the Swiftech individual parts.

Not the same

CrashOv3r1De said:
nm thx i decided to get a kit and then build one myself after i try watercooling for the first time i can always return the kit =)

please help me figure out which is better:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...g=7&manufactory=1617&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

or the koolance exos

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=koolance+exos

or are they both the same

Not the same... the first is a complete case with the water cooling Exos built into the case. The second is the external Exos that just plugs in through the back of your case. You can use it on any computer.

On both, neither include a water block so you have to purchase the block seperate...add anothr $40+ to the price.

And no, you can not return the KIT... They plainly state they are not returnable...

Last edited:
Tical said:
Those are probably the 2 best external kits out right now. I like the EXOS because it just sits on your case, but I don't like the plastic topped block. The HydroCool is reported to get slightly better temps, but is rather bulky IMHO. The EXOS DOES NOT come with the W/B you have to purchase it seperately, & that gets the "Boo-of-the-Month" award. BOOOOO!!!! Good luck. :D

The Hydrocool is "plug and play" ... it uses a PCI slot to pass through the cooling lines. What would you like to see on the Hydrocool to make it better?

KK

Back