• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled video card warping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rampage223

I am water cooling my Radeon 9500. After several restarts of the computer the pc doesn't find the video card. When I take the card out to reseat it, you can see it is warping, for lack of a better term. I've tighten and loosened the waterblock with no difference. I usually have to fiddle with the card before I can start the PC. What else should I try?

If your waterblock uses bolts through the card, I'd cut a piece of plexiglass that was just larger then the gpu and use longer bolts to bolt through the plexi>agp card>waterblock.
That should keep it nice and flat.

Firstly though, you should find the cause before building a band-aid for it. Is it that the block was too tight? Was a manufacturing defect? Is it....eek....getting wet? Are your hoses too heavy? Is your cases backplane tweaked or motherboard out of proper alignment?
(I try to install the vid card, and one pci card, then tighten the bolts to the motherboard, then remove the agp card to tighten the bolt underneath it).
You could also try loosening the bolts that hold the metal slot cover onto the card, then retightening it without removing it from the case. Sometimes those are installed crooked at the factory.

Whatever you do be gentle, you don't want to break it, eh? Luck to ya.

Thanks for the suggestions. I''ve taken everything apart serveral times and I know nothing is leaking. Although it's possible the block and hoses are too heavy.

The plexiglass is a great idea. I will try that and make sure the everything is in alignment.

Back