• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP can Install XP with my hard drive on SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raccoonone

HELP can't Install XP with my hard drive on SATA

I just built my computer, and I can't get XP to install. I have the hard drive on SATA, and I think that my be the problem.

I got the hard drive formatted, pressed f6 during setup to load the drivers, but after it restarts the computer it just starts the whole process over!

also during boot up, it doesn't detect anything on either SATA.

I know the hard drive works because I've been able to format it, and also have been able to access it at the DOS prompt from inside the windows install (from the Recovery section).

plz help! all I can think of is to take it off the SATA and just leave it on the IDE

UPDATE: I just reflashed to BIOS 18, and downloaded the newest SATA drivers off Abits website. and it didn't help

Last edited:
Re: HELP can't Install XP with my hard drive on SATA

Procyon Lotor said:
I just built my computer, and I can't get XP to install. I have the hard drive on SATA, and I think that my be the problem.

I got the hard drive formatted, pressed f6 during setup to load the drivers, but after it restarts the computer it just starts the whole process over!

I know the hard drive works because I've been able to format it, and also have been able to access it at the DOS prompt from inside the windows install (from the Recovery section).

plz help! all I can think of is to take it off the SATA and just leave it on the IDE

UPDATE: I just reflashed to BIOS 18, and downloaded the newest SATA drivers off Abits website. and it didn't help

It sounds like your system is reverting back to the "CDROM" as the boot device after the initial install, but I would need a little more information as to the exact process you are using here... as in, You did F6 & installed your SATA drivers from the Floppy then removed the floppy, then windows "should" ask for which file system you desire NTFS/FAT32 after you have partitioned the hard drive, then it should format, then install the files required on to the hard drive to load the OS/WindowsXP

In your BIOS make sure you have the CDROM listed as your "FIRST" boot device then your SATA second, then your SATA as your third boot device (even if you do not have another hard drive :) ), and Disable "ALL other boot devices" for this is recognized as SCSI and will effect your SATA setup ;)

Other than that, just make sure you are not trying to load while over clocked, and NEVER flash your BIOS Over clocked :eek:

Now you may have already tried all the above, this I'm not sure :confused: so let me know, and maybe myself, or someone else can help you solve your problem :)

Good Luck!

DpGravy

Procyon Lotor said:

When comp restart , go to bios and select sata as your 1st boot device.

:) :)

Procyon Lotor said:

When comp restart , go to bios and select sata as your 1st boot device.:)

Just load XP with it on regular IDE and then after you get it working load raid drivers and move the drive to the SATA.

thanks for all the replys, and sorry I haven't posted sooner, was out of town over the weekend.

I figured out what was wrong. in the Abit manual it says to set the hard drive to Master. but it has to be set to Cable Select, I guess since it's the only drive on the SATA.

P.L.

Do I need to do anything special if I plan on going to use a SATA hdd later? I just got my nf7-s Rev2.0, and I plan on using a Raptor hdd, but not quite yet. I am going to set up XP on my existing IDE hdd, and then hopefully switch to the SATA drive when I purchase it in a week or two.

I have a semi related question...

With the NF7-s, can you use just one sata drive? or must you have two drives and run a raid setup whenever using sata?

Thanks.

brewzer said:
Do I need to do anything special if I plan on going to use a SATA hdd later? I just got my nf7-s Rev2.0, and I plan on using a Raptor hdd, but not quite yet. I am going to set up XP on my existing IDE hdd, and then hopefully switch to the SATA drive when I purchase it in a week or two.

Nothing asides from having a Floppy drive to load the drivers if your using an NT based OS.

Flewdefur said:
I have a semi related question...

With the NF7-s, can you use just one sata drive? or must you have two drives and run a raid setup whenever using sata?

Thanks.

Yes you can use just one mass storage device on the SATA Controller & do not need to run RAID on it, you can even have 2 devices & not go RAID. The only time you run RAID is when you build an Array to go RAID other than that you look at your SATA | RAID Controllers as any other Mass Storage Controller without ATAPI support.

ok if u run only one hdd in sata will it have any benefits at all? Will it be faster? Or is there no point to doing this.

>If you have Sata drives they will be faster than IDE drives cause they are running at ata150

>The Sata on the NF7-s allows you to do raid 1 or raid 0. Raid 1 will allow you to make a mirror image of the drive as a backup. Raid 0 will split the data between two drives allowing for faster writing (correct?)

But,

>if you have normal ata drives with an adapter you get no speed increase. The only benifit is you can have a higher total number of drives.

Back