• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck at 225 fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

HI folks,

I'm just looking for a little help, I'm sure I'm missing some glaring error somewhere.

CPU: P4c 3.0 @1.6 volts
Mobo: ASUS p4c 800 deluxe
Memory: 2x256 OCZ Gold pc3700 dual channel EL(2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.85v)
Power: ANTEC Trupower 430w
Temps: 48-50 load

I'm sure my error is quite simple, Im rock solid stable at 5:4 @ 225 fsb,or 1:1 @ 210fsb. If I put it up to 226 windows will run but will crash in 2 min with SETI running. I have "Turbo" and such on auto setting.AGP/PCI is set to 66/33.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, and I will keep an eye out if more info is needed.

Thanks!
C

maybe its the limit of your chip... thats almost 3.4 ghz, the p4c's might max out around there... and at 5:4 it hsould be no problem for ram so yeah... try laxing your ram timings to as lax as they get and go in 1:1 see if you can get past 225 fsb.. maybe its some wierd bug like that hehe

max

Is there any point to to drop it down to the 3:2(?) setting, or just keep it at the 5:4?

Thanks,
C

You should definately be using a 1:1 ratio to maximize the performance of your memory. With a 5:4 ratio, you are running wayyyy below your memory's potential.

Start with a 1:1 and see how far you can go on default voltage.
Once you start having instability, increase your CPU voltage and continue on.

I would also lower the PAT setting a notch, or turn it off while your searching for the highest possible fsb.

In my BIOS (v1010), under "jumperfree settings" I see:

Performance Mode ( auto/turbo/standard)
- I have it set to standard

under Advanced>chipset:
Performance acceleration mode (auto/enabled)
- I have it set to auto

I kicked the CPU voltage up to 1.625 ( little leery of going to high atm, on air cooling), 1:1, 225 fsb, and... here I am!

Im going to run a few benchies and see if it holds up!

/fingerscrossed

Thanks,
C

Well, the best I could get was 220 fsb @ 1:1, which is the same as my 10% auto overclock option that the ASUS motherboard gives me.

So I dropped my cpu voltage back to normal, and set the memory timings to cas2-3-3-6-4. I know this is stable, I'd been running dual instances of SETI for days on end with noname RAM while I waited on my OCZ.

Im starting to think maybe I should have gotten a 2.4c or 2.6c, but I guess 3.3 Ghz@880 fsb is'nt too bad.

C

High fsb with a 3.0C will require quite a bit of extra voltage since it's already using a 15x multiplier.
1.6v to the CPU should be fine...I wouldn't worry until you cross 1.7v, although I wouldn't go that high on air cooling.

You might be able to still run turbo mode though, have you tried it again with your current settings?

What kinda memory score do you have with Sandra?

Last edited:
I turned the turbo and performance acceleration back on without any problems so far.SETI has been crunching happily away 8)

Im getting just under 5200 Mb/s (both bars)with Sandra.I'mot sure how this compares though, I'll post a screenshot in a few min, i just have to get my ftp proggie loaded back up.

C

Hmmm... maybe since you're running under spec, you can tighten those timings up somemore and get a higher Sandra score..

Try CL2 2-3-7-1T, and see how it works.. Run 3DMark or something to ensure stability. If it runs without problems, then good.. If not, try CL2 3-3-7-1T, and try again.

Using 7 seems to always produce better scores than 6. Some have even gone all the way up to 11.

I went into BIOS and did'nt see the "1T" option anywhere

This is what I see:

CAS latency (2,2.5,3)
RAS# Precharge (2-3-4)
RAS# to CAS# Delay (2-3-4)
DRAM Precharge delay (5-6-7-8)
DRAM Burst length (4-8)
Performance acceleration mode : (auto/enabled)
DRAM Idle timer (64t-16t-8t-0t-Infinate-auto)
DRAM Refesh- (64t-64(nano)?sec-7.8?sec-15.6?sec-auto)

I'm at cas2,3-3-7-4 PAM enabled,auto,auto which got me 5221/5185 in Sandra.

btw, thanks for taking the time to help!

C

Ah, okay the 1T command is probably automatic then..

Maybe someone has other ideas, but it sounds like you're reaching the limits of your CPU unless you start throwing voltage at it. --maybe I'll think of something else.

I was wracking my brain and I thought to check my PSU voltages. I really dont know much about them but they seem low to me...?

+12v=1.612-11.655
+5v = 4.892(steady)
3.3v =3.184-3.2
Vcore=1.472-1.504

This is under full load. PSU is a brand spankin' new ANTEC Truepower 430w, measured with ASUS probe.

Last edited:
Back