• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W2KP/Format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dsherm112

I put a new HD in and installed W2K Pro. The original drive was left intact with W98, but it is not the boot drive.

I now want to wipe out the original drive, reformat with NTFS and start with a clean drive. I tried right clicking the drive and choosing format. It fails with a message that the drive is in use and can't be formatted. I've closed everything.

How can I get this drive formatted?

Thanks,

Sherm

Chances are your system is inadvertantly using a DLL or something off of that drive.

Try in safe mode. It's alot easier than trying to track down exactly what's in use.

Make sure you aren't accidentally leaving explorer looking at the drive, as that will cause it to be in use.

make sure you have the second drives jumper set to slave and i always go into device manager and properties of the second drive and make it removable drive. ALLEN

Back