• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

command to turn of startup programs in Win95?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

command to turn off startup programs in Win95?

hello everyone, I know in WinXP the command is msconfig. What is the command in Win95?(Win95...don't start :p It's just the computer my mom uses in her office)

msconfig should work in win95... (it's been a while.. i know 98 had it).

If it's something in the start menu startup groupthat's killing it, hold down the shift key while booting, and it won't run anything in the Startup group. (but it'll still run anything set up in the registry.)

I had already tried msconfig, it didn't work.

Win95 doesn't have Msconfig.exe, although like su root suggested...the Win98 version should work in Win95 (this was a new utility starting with Win98). You may want to give Startup Cop a try...

Startup Cop :)

Last edited:
When you say "none worked", what exactly happened when you ran the programs? When you tried to run msconfig and "it didn't work"...did you try to use the Win98 version of the utility like su root suggested? If so, what happened when you tried to run it?

Last edited:
When I try to run all those commands, the system did not recognise them. It is like no such command.

hey whats up,
if you feel like messing with the registry, goto
"run" on the start menu, type "regedit" ( with out the quotes ),
when the registry pops up, goto

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

and delete the entries that you dont want.
always before you do this, back up either your system, ( system restore, oh yeah windows 95 sorry :D ) use something like go back, or just do a simple back up of the registry, theres a real easy way to do this, just search google for "backing up the registry" , even more specific, "backing up the registry in windows 95". but these are just precautions, and i really doubt you need them for deleting a few files you KNOW that you dont want to start up. ;)

these are my reg settings for programs...
reg.JPG

say i didnt want the "lxsupmon" thats highlighted, i just right cllick and delete it. restart, and all done, hope this helps.

Last edited:
btw, the tkbell, is real one event scheduler crap, im deff gettin rid of that, so if ya have that one, get rid of that crap :) prob dont have it for win95 anyways.

Back