• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rockworth

Registered
I've been doing a little searching on the web, and the setup I'm looking at would cost me around $415. Is this considered a "standard" price for watercooling equipment? The sytem would consist of a ThermoChill 120.2 with 4 Delta 120mm fans (ordered from UK), CPU waterblock, chipset WB, GPU WB, pump, and tubing.

standard would be around $150 to $250. depending whether u cut a lot of cost by doing stuff urself. but with those import taxes and shipping from the UK i suppose it might be a standard price. are u also ordering ur blocks from the UK.

That's WAY too high for prices here in the states. I'm not sure how tax and whatnot works overseas though but that still seems a bit high. Average around here would be $150-$200 for most people depending on the parts used.

The problem is that the radiator costs about 95 dollars (but it performs incredibly well, so I have heard), and four delta fans cost about 70 bucks (but they push 130 CFM each). If anyone out there can point me to a better sight (I've gone to dangerden, and CritiCool, and highspeedpc.com so far).

get the chevette heater core for 30bucks at your local autozone and mod it yourself. search for it on the forum, plenty of info :)

I have a 130cfm delta and it's pretty loud by itself. I couldn't imagine 4. I run it at 7v and I don't see any performance difference. Watercooling should be nice on the ears ;)

i got my iceberg water cooling kit for 84$. but ill have to buy a copper waterblock separatly cuz it comes with an aluminum one.

I've had other people suggest that I use the 87 Chevette heatcore, but I also have heard that other people use rads designed "specifically" for watercooling. What's the gyst here? Also, why is it that some people don't cool there NB chipset with a waterblock? Wouldn't cooling it give you some headroom to OC your FSB?

Rockworth said:
Also, why is it that some people don't cool there NB chipset with a waterblock? Wouldn't cooling it give you some headroom to OC your FSB?

Sometimes it helps but it makes the watercooling loop more complex, and adds cost. Depends how badly you want it.

Watercooling the nb is not always desirable- how hot is yours?

If it is just warm then either passive cooling (heatsink, no fan) may be enough; a quiet fan will be sure to provide the needed cooling. Many nb sinks are removable and can be improved by lapping and using better thermal compound and a better hold down mechanism. I normally use nylon nuts, bolts and washers.

If your nb is HOT then water cooling it MAY be worthwhile but it does add complexity and may be hard to find a block that does NOT use 1/4" or 3/8" barbs. Which are just too restrictive for use, IMO.

Radiators: it's tough to beat the cost effectiveness of a car's heater core: cheap and very effective.

I have nothing to add about prices- many components are cheap here in the US and I know overseas folks often have less good fortune in that regard. :(

i got all my water cooling equipment in the uk..

though you can't get chevey heater cores here.. we get better ones.. Nissian heater cores. ive got a lovly 30cm x 15 one and it works so well i could run it passive and not get a severe drop in temps!.. the hydor L30's can be found cheap over here too as there made in some european country ive forgtten the name of.. www.over-clock.co.uk may be slightly more exencive but they stock good stuff.

and you get it within 2 days. usualy.

rogerdugans said:
Watercooling the nb is not always desirable- how hot is yours?

If it is just warm then either passive cooling (heatsink, no fan) may be enough; a quiet fan will be sure to provide the needed cooling. Many nb sinks are removable and can be improved by lapping and using better thermal compound and a better hold down mechanism. I normally use nylon nuts, bolts and washers.
i agree with you.

these late model nforce2 boards(A1 ultra400) boards FSB overclock very nicely with the stock factory HSF on the NorthBridge.

when would it not be desirable to lower the temp on your NB?

granted if passive cooling works, fine go with it, and water cooling the NB would be overkill, but i dont think it would ever hurt anything

I'm not planning to upgrade to watercooling until I do my next major system overall (new CPU, mobo, ram, vid card). Therefore, I expect (or at least hope) that NB cooling will have improved by then. Who out there is using a 87 Chevette heatercore, and what are your temperatures?

Back