• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smart Fan 2 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have a Thermaltake Volcano 9 that came with a SF2. I have not used it for many months and cannot remember where it gets it's power from. Does the SF2 have a 4 pin adapter that comes with it or does it only get power from the 3 pin MOBO connector? Or, does it come with an adapter to connect the 3 pin connector to a 4 pin one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Orion25

The smartfan 2 comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin molex power adapter (highly recommended that you use that....).

If you misplaced the one that came with it, you can always just go out and get one, they are very cheap.

ConquereR,

Thanks for the reply! But I do not have the coolmod version. I have the origional version with just the SF2 and the V9 HS.

Orion25

lazerin said:
The smartfan 2 comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin molex power adapter (highly recommended that you use that....).

If you misplaced the one that came with it, you can always just go out and get one, they are very cheap.

Thank You!!! That was exactly what I was looking for. Now I know that I must clean up a little so that I can find the adapter. My spare bedroom houses my 3 desktops and my laptop and my Fiance is thinking of calling it all off over this room. J/K but it is a wreck.

lazerin said:

yes hes right, make SURE you use it. dont connect the 3 pin to the mobo

ConquereR said:

yes hes right, make SURE you use it. dont connect the 3 pin to the mobo

Why not use the one on the M/B? What is the crime in that?:confused:

What if your using it on your heatsink? Doesn't the CPU Fan need to be connected to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? Or do they mean that the RPM signal goes into the CPU_FAN header?

the rpm adapter splits in to 3pin to 4 pin connector and it has another wire for the RPM monitoring that you hook to the 3pin on the mobo

Mine has been connected to my mobo header for over a year and I've never had a problem. They are only 8.4w at full RPM.. but who can stand it running full rpm anyway, and most people find it cools better at a slightly slower speed anyway.

Last edited:
JDXNC said:
Mine has been connected to my mobo header for over a year and I've never had a problem. They are only 8.4w at full RPM.. but who can stand it running full rpm anyway, and most people find it cools better at a slightly slower speed anyway.

I've had mine hooked up to the CPU fan header as well for quite some time. Even had it going full blast for a couple of weeks until I couldn't stand the racket anymore and turned it down. I may take it off some time but it's obviously not a serious problem.

Well, I switched the SF around so that it's drawing power directly from the PSU, and fired up my rig for the first time today. Loving this SF2 even more, at 4500 RPM's I'm getting 33* C idle temps (everything stock), and the noise isn't bad at all. Don't even notice it.

Back