• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How thin layer of AS3 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hi fellows !
I just wonder how thin AS3 layer should be... I think I have it pretty thick ( 1mm perhaps ). So how bad is it ? My temps are 42 idle 57 load with w/c :rolleyes:

P4 2.6c @ 3.4
Abit IC7 1.6 BIOS
VCPU 1,65

One other thing I was thinking about is that i found a tiny hole in a CPU ( perhaps for temp diode or something ) I filled it whole with AS3. Is that bad to, or does it matter at all ? And I tried making a little experiment and putting plenty of ice in my water ( PLENTY ) Load temps fell down to 30-ish. I'm sure my w/c makes good contact with CPU but something is wrong with temps...

Any idea from cooling gurus ?
Thank you for your time!

1mm is like 10X too much :D It should be almost transparent layer. And the hole in your CPU's heatspreader is just for manufacturing reasons (air comes out of the hole when heatspreader is placed on the CPU). AS3 doesn't harm if it gets in the hole.

OMG :O
So how bad is it ? If it is just for like 1-2 degrees I'll leave it alone but more and I'll go through removing my homemade w/c which is pain in the a$$.

So will it help some to make layer thin ?

Thank you for your time!

Of course the AS3 will be squeezed when the block is tightened. I'm not really sure how much of a difference it would make, but it might be more than 1-2C. You can only find it out by trying it :D

You might want to take a small dab of it and rub it into the base of the waterblock with a baggie (clockwise and counter-clockwise) to make sure you fill any microscopic pits. Then, reapply the AS3 to your CPU nearly paper-thin as breez suggested.

~THT

My temps (on air, of course) dropped by 2 or so C when I re-applied the goop on my CPU and HS. The previous owner had used about the amount you described. I used the method described above and on the Arctic Silver 3 website, using an almost translucent layer. Remember, the paste is only to fill the tiny voids left after lapping, etc, not to separate the two surfaces.
You only want enough to fill the tiny scratches and such on the HS or waterblock.

I get the best result when I spred AS3 with a finger in a plastic bag. It's so thin that it's almost transparent. The color of the CPU die is almost like there is no AS3 on it.

K thanks guys! in that case i'll have to reapply AS3 on my graphic card, NorthBridge and CPU :)
I'll keep you informed !
Thank you for your time !

Back